Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Binding Upgrade Necessity?

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Lamps 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

For the last 3 seasons I've been using a pair of 2010-2011 Burton Custom bindings, and they've been okay to me, they haven't cracked, shattered or spontaneously combusted. There've been some features that they lack, like canting for which I made my own duct tape canting wedges (they work, don't knock 'em before you try 'em), but now that I have a little more spending money on my hands, I was wondering whether there is any significant advantage in getting a higher end pair rather than an entry level. I've been eyeballing the 2014 390 Bosses to pair with my Blacklist.

For reference I'm an advanced intermediate (according to the forum you must be able to go down triple blacks in a handstand to be an expert) who's snowboarded for 8 years, 4 of them seriously.

So would an upgrade in binding have a noticeable effect on performance, or should I just stick with my cheapies?

Thanks,
glm

#2 ·
I don't care what anyone else says on this one, you'll notice a difference. The comfort alone is worth it. Last season I went from some old Union Flites, to some 2013 390 Boss, and the difference was night and day.

#3 ·
Broadly agree. I doubt that it will make much (if any) difference to your riding performance (the Customs actually are surprisingly good basic bindings), but comfort can definitely be improved, esp. with a nicer ankle strap (the 390 one is definitely cush).

#10 ·
Try them. I found Burton Malavita 12, Nitro Blackhawks both snug, comfy.

390 bosses were not comfy for me. They were solid though. Just not cush.

Burtons were the best. Nitros were responsive. And I have a set of K2 Uprghts that don't fit my boots but I like them.

#11 ·
Hmmm... Very interesting. I want to end up with a pair that I really enjoy, so having more options is good. My local store stocks both Burton and Rome, so I'll have to give both a chance when it comes to being winter.

Thanks for all the replies!
glm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.