Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Disadvantages of a board being too small...

36K views 64 replies 19 participants last post by  poutanen 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I've been doing A LOT of research and have come across conflicting information...So I decided to post up in here.

My question is, what are the disadvantages of riding a board that is too small based on my weight??

A little background:
Up until now, Ive only ridden east coast, packed snow (ice).
I consider myself an intermediate rider (3 years, +20X/year)
My winter weight is 200-210lbs and I'm 5'11".
Size 12 boot.
I just moved to CO and plan on riding +50X this season.
No park experience, but plan to give it a try since I wont be landing on ice like out east.

So with that said, my first board was/is a Forum 154W Destroyer. (~5 stiffness) And while I love the board and I'm extremely comfortable on it carving down the mountain, I'm worried that it may be too small for me here in CO. I'll be riding "allmountain" style.... mainly carving slopes (and this weird thing y'all call "powder"), but like I said, I would like to play a little in the park and hit decent jumps.

For my weight/ riding style, I've gotten recommendations for everything from a 162-170... so obviously, my 154 is quite small... But is stability the only thing I'm compromising by riding a board too small? Is there a possibility I could break it (I haven't yet!)?? I'm looking at last years GNU's Rider's Choice board (~5 stiffness) and just need recommendations on where to go from here...

See less See more
#2 ·
You'll get contradictory answers here as well ;) but one thing is obvious: you'll submarine with this board in deep fluff with your stats. Hubby has 190lbs and rides boards around 164 for (not extremely deep) pow. If you want to enjoy pow and don't dig yourself out on flats and lean back all the time, you'll need a longer board (I ride a 158 freeride board having 120lbs for these reasons). And I'm pretty sure, as soon as you did the first turns in fluff, you want a board suitable for it. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

#4 ·
You'll get contradictory answers here as well ;) but one thing is obvious: you'll submarine with this board in deep fluff with your stats.
:thumbsup:

I'm about the same stats (6'2", 190) and I ride a 161 most of the time here on the Ice coast and a 164 on my trips out west. And for deep stuff, I wish I had something in the 168+ range. Aside from stability, you'll probably find that a longer board has increased edge hold due to the increase in effective edge.

You should also think about why so many people have a quiver of boards: different boards for different things. Why get another 154?

#5 · (Edited)
Keep your little board for groomers and the park for now, unless you're a rabid speed demon it will be fine, and especially good for park, butters etc.

Demo a longer, powder oriented board on a day with good snow and see what you think. Then buy accordingly. Consider burton Sherlock as an all round board thats good in powder or fish or barracuda for powder specific.

Demo is your friend.

#6 ·
You don't have to get a super long board. Nowadays there are so many different shapes & rockers that you can really get any size you want. Nugs & fishcuits are examples of shorter boards that float great in pow. You could get something like a wide smokin superpark ctx 159 & have great float - or get the Bon aire that comes out next year. Wide Sherlock is good too & the list goes on

#7 ·
For my weight/ riding style, I've gotten recommendations for everything from a 162-170... so obviously, my 154 is quite small...
Hi Mayor,

The tip to tip cm length (162, 170, 154 from above) of a board in itself means very little in terms of performance. I would focus your comparisons on running length or effective edge.

Depending on how the manufacturer extends or blunts the raised tip/tail a much shorter board can "ride" longer than a much longer board. It is also very common for the "marketing length" of the actual product (the size printed on the board) to be far off from the actual board measurement. Take a tape measure to your current deck. You may be in for a good laugh :)

If possible let us know about the specific models that you are referring to / considering. That is the only way to make strong suggestions for you.

STOKED!

#8 ·
If you think there isn't ice in the park here you are sadly mistaken. That shit is firm and I mean FIRM. I'm about 25 to 30lbs less than you. Would I recommend at your size you ride a 54 for powder? No it won't be the most ideal. Would I recommend a 62 to 170 oh fuck no.

Is the pow deep and going to weigh you down here? Nope it's probably the lightest in the country till mid March/April then it can get heavier.

#9 · (Edited)
If you think there isn't ice in the park here you are sadly mistaken. That shit is firm and I mean FIRM.
Haha, I'm aware there is ice everywhere, but out east our home slopes (NC and WV)are so small and packed that it is literally like boarding on a slanted ice rink. Practicing park on SOLID ice is not ideal, and "powder days" consist usually of about 2in of wet slush... So I'm pretty excited for some descent pow, even if it does get firm, I guarantee that I wont complain. :)

Keep your little board for groomers and the park for now, unless you're a rabid speed demon it will be fine, and especially good for park, butters etc.

Demo a longer, powder oriented board on a day with good snow and see what you think. Then buy accordingly. Consider burton Sherlock as an all round board thats good in powder or fish or barracuda for powder specific.

Demo is your friend.
I enjoy speed, but even riding my 154 I feel comfortable and stable racing down the mountain, that why I'm curious if a larger board will even benefit me (stability wise)... or just slow my turns.
As far as demo-ing a board, how does that work? Do you just show up on the mountain a particular set day and test as many as you want?

You should also think about why so many people have a quiver of boards: different boards for different things. Why get another 154?
I'm not planning to get another small board. But building up an arsenal of boards IS my goal... I just need a starting point.

For those curious as to what boards I'm considering, I've looked at a 162W GNU's Rider's Choice for all mountain riding, and possibly a 169 Burton Barracuda for strictly powder. (Both are a ~5 flex)

Thoughts?

#14 ·
Where your gonna be riding?

I'm 280-290 lbs and rode a 162w in up to nipple deep pow.... No problem here..... I did buy a pow specific board for deeper days here this coming season though just to see the difference. I now have a pin tail 163. My 162 is a directional twin with a 1" setback though.

I am sure you would be just fine on a 157ish board for all mtn, use the old board for park days. Get a board you like, ride it ALOT and have a great season.

#18 ·
Where your gonna be riding?...
I bought the "EPIC Local Pass" so it includes Keystone, A-basin, Breck, and 10 days at Vail and Beaver Creek... I'll probably do most of my riding at Keystone or A-basin because I have close friends from college that work there. But I WILL be going to all of them throughout this season. (First time out West, gotta go big!!)

Thanks for all the suggestions, peeps. I think I'll shoot for a 160-ish board just to be on the safe side. It seems as if most people here are suggesting within 3cm either way of that...

#17 ·
My boyfriend weighs about 210 and the board he's ridden most in the last few years is a fully cambered 159. Please note my location. He has bigger boards (up to a 172), and the split I got him is a hybrid rocker 166 because he's talked about getting a longer one when he got a split, but he's been riding that cambered deck just fine, even in fairly deep coastal pow, where you can really auger in if you sink it.

#22 ·
My vote goes to longer sticks. Get as long as you can handle and give it a try. It's so much fun. With 175lbs you can easily ride a 168 sticks.
Wide won't give you stablity, but will definaly give you more float. You can chose between longer(and stable) board and wider (easy turning) board with same amount of float.

I cannot get an idea how a 240+ lbs guys ride 157-162 sticks in pow. This is either not pow, either they lie a bit :)

#23 ·
I cannot get an idea how a 240+ lbs guys ride 157-162 sticks in pow. This is either not pow, either they lie a bit :)
Pow seems to be different over there or the riding style is different (less carving oriented?) or or it's just a traditional thing :dunno:. All my male friens with around 190lbs ride boards around 160-164 for groomers n pow.

#26 ·
For those curious as to what boards I'm considering, I've looked at a 162W GNU's Rider's Choice for all mountain riding, and possibly a 169 Burton Barracuda for strictly powder. (Both are a ~5 flex)
You are a great fit for both or those decks (perfectly centered in the weight range for each and a good match for foot size at a variety of stance angles and stance width options).

You can read a lot of opinions and reviews here on the Carbon Credit. We sell them so I will stay out of that but on the spec side it is definitely a fit.

Have you ridden S rocker? AWESOME in pow. My personal favorite profile for a pow only stick. The Barracuda would be a great choice for you for that portion of your riding.

STOKED!

#27 ·
Have you ridden S rocker? AWESOME in pow. My personal favorite profile for a pow only stick. The Barracuda would be a great choice for you for that portion of your riding.
I have not. In the south-east, pow-specific boards are a waste of money. Even if we would get "dumped on" we'd be lucky to see 4in and it was guaranteed to be slush within hours of opening.

#32 · (Edited)
I have to say, with the wealth of information To be found here. It is very easy to get overwhelmed by The infinite number of choices. I understand the concept that you don't want to make a mistake with your next board purchase and get something you're not completely happy with, But I would have to agree it's pretty easy to over analyze the entire process.

Lots of people with diff. likes, dislikes, styles, riding conditions, terrain, etc. etc. etc. It will b next to impossible to get a consensus.

Having said that, your original question is Essentially a good one. I was considering posting something similar myself as I was thinking of looking for a new board To add to my quiver this season, And wasn't exactly certain which way to go. ;)

I live in SE Michigan. Crappy hills, Lots of man-made, crappy conditions, lots of ice etc. I am 6 foot, weighed 195 lbs. when I started snowboarding. (.... About 250 lbs now totally geared out! :-( ). I learned to ride Those conditions with a full Camber, set back, all mountain, directional twin, 163 wide Arbor Roundhouse. It was Undoubtedly the wrong board for me At the time. I got some Questionable "expert" sales advice at REI, And purchased a long, wide, board That I didn't really need for my size 10 1/2 feet.

Since then I have acquired a Rome garage rocker 159, regular width, And a used NS proto-CT, 157 regular width. Both of which I love! (I even got to ride them in some shin & knee deep POW this last season! Both of them rode great!) On groomers they are fun, lightweight, playful, and easy to ride and turn. By comparison my 163W arbor now feels somewhat harder to turn and even a bit clumsy at times. Because of that, I was considering selling it this fall before the season started to put towards a newer different regular width board. And I love that board!!! I rode it exclusively for more than a season and a half. (....Im 53 yo & 2.5 seasons in to my boarding btw!)

Now, because it IS a wide, I think I'll hold on to it to use as my POW board for the extra float. (...Whenever that opportunity might arise!) In Deep stuff, I don't imagine the width will make it all that much harder to turn!

If I decide to purchase another board At some point this season, I will go with something in a reg. width, either full or hybrid camber, maybe some grip tech or magna traction. I will most likely go middle of the road in length, probably 159-161cm. That, I think, should probably cover most of my bases for now.

This was my brief experience learning about getting used to, and riding new and completely different profiled boards. Take from it what u will. Ignore any or all of it you deem bullshit.

Whatever board u buy, Just ride the fuck out of it and have a blast! :)

Edit: (...I know, I know! Tldr!) :p :laugh:

#33 ·

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

the burton barracuda rides fairly big for its size. 169 will be a lot of board to what ur used to. imo u wont need the whole 169cm to float on top of the snow and it will be hard work maneuvering through the trees.

also, only get a wide if u actually need it (sz 12US+).. im a size 12 and still try to avoid riding wides, i find them much harder to turn and throw around compared to my mid wides. a wide board wont necessarily make it more stable and if u dont have a big foot it will just mean more work to go from edge to edge.

#37 ·
the burton barracuda rides fairly big for its size. 169 will be a lot of board to what ur used to. imo u wont need the whole 169cm to float on top of the snow and it will be hard work maneuvering through the trees.

also, only get a wide if u actually need it (sz 12US+).. im a size 12 and still try to avoid riding wides, i find them much harder to turn and throw around compared to my mid wides. a wide board wont necessarily make it more stable and if u dont have a big foot it will just mean more work to go from edge to edge.
Ah, yes... I forgot about that. I'll scale the size down then.

And I wear a size 12 boot, but my DC's are quite bulky. I could probably buy slimmer profile boots, but these are only a year old... plus, my toes are cramped with thick socks so I might go up a size next pair.

(I've never seen a "mid-wide" board, either...)

#47 ·
Damn Argo, you are freakin' fast! :D I posted that comment, read the one u beat me to the punch with, thought that after your post, mine maybe read a bit like baiting ETM. So I immediately went in, deleted it,.. Only to find you'd already quoted me!!! Lol!

So, OK! I'll stand by my sincere comment, and repeat,..
ETM, I really would enjoy seeing a video of one of your tree runs! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.