Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The people who created Alpine Replay have a new project called "Trace"
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
hktrdr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
I'm skeptical about the claims that it'll be able to know which tricks you do and how well you landed them, especially when you start mixing in the variety of ways to rotate as well as rail tricks.

I'm betting that feature is going to be highly unaccurate and useless.

If this gets made I just hope it doesn't lead to people spamming my feed with useless stats like "I did 4 runs today and my longest air was 0.8 seconds! Check out my statsheet at uselessstatsnoonebutmecaresabout.com"
I would not rule out the possibility that they get the data recording right/accurate enough.
But I really question the relevance of said data. Part of the appeal of board and action sports to many people is the experience of the ride, as opposed to the pursuit of measurable performance.

I am a big fan of statistics and data in general and this thing might be useful tool for learning/practice, but are we going to measure our riding and maybe even somehow quantify our performance or experience. I just do not see the point of sitting around after riding talking about how many 1s and 3s I have landed on a particular run. Are people really 'competing' on Alpine Replay for fastest top speed on runs, etc.? Seems to me that would get old really quickly...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote