Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The people who created Alpine Replay have a new project called "Trace"
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
I would not rule out the possibility that they get the data recording right/accurate enough.
But I really question the relevance of said data. Part of the appeal of board and action sports to many people is the experience of the ride, as opposed to the pursuit of measurable performance.

I am a big fan of statistics and data in general and this thing might be useful tool for learning/practice, but are we going to measure our riding and maybe even somehow quantify our performance or experience. I just do not see the point of sitting around after riding talking about how many 1s and 3s I have landed on a particular run. Are people really 'competing' on Alpine Replay for fastest top speed on runs, etc.? Seems to me that would get old really quickly...
Oh I agree things like fastest top speed are kinda 'meh'. I don't care how many runs I did, how fast I went or what my max airtime was that day. I never use any of those stat tracking apps since I always find all their stats useless.

What I'd be all for is to be able to just ride and enjoy my day, which usually involves working on an assortment of tricks, then go home and see which tricks I favour, which I screwed up on a few too many times, which spin directions I lean towards etc. etc.

That sort of data would let you know exactly what tricks you need to work on, where your weaknesses lie, where holes in your overall riding could be, where you could round out your skillset and more. Something like that would be great just for tracking overall progress in your riding.

Sadly I doubt this (or any device really) would be able to do that accurate though, since it would have to be able to tell the difference between a large range of rail tricks, flips etc that are way too similar in terms of just measuring x/y/z movement.