Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The people who created Alpine Replay have a new project called "Trace"

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  herzogone 
#1 ·
Details are here: Trace collects your kick, push, coasting metrics, shares them on social media

It sounds interesting, but I'm really curious how much detail they can get from just GPS and inertial sensors. :dunno: That is, will it really be able to accurately reconstruct someone's board's complete motion in three dimensions?

I could also see it becoming annoying if everyone is sharing every single run on Facebook or Twitter, but that's not really a knock against it, just human nature (e.g. long boring GoPro videos). I suppose I'm one to talk, I'm sure I've been guilty of similar, at least with friends and family... :D

#4 ·
I'm skeptical about the claims that it'll be able to know which tricks you do and how well you landed them, especially when you start mixing in the variety of ways to rotate as well as rail tricks.

I'm betting that feature is going to be highly unaccurate and useless.

If this gets made I just hope it doesn't lead to people spamming my feed with useless stats like "I did 4 runs today and my longest air was 0.8 seconds! Check out my statsheet at uselessstatsnoonebutmecaresabout.com"

#5 ·
I'm skeptical about the claims that it'll be able to know which tricks you do and how well you landed them, especially when you start mixing in the variety of ways to rotate as well as rail tricks.

I'm betting that feature is going to be highly unaccurate and useless.
Well, their old app was supposed to track the number of jumps and air time. It logged me as having made several small jumps. Even logged 2+ sec. of "air time!". You can Imagine my surprise since I was still a bit freaked and not trying even small ollies n shit yet!!! Definitely not any jumps!

I like the gps maps of the runs, and I like the speed and vert. functions but yeah,... Don't hold out hope for much accuracy! Lol!

#6 ·
Recon & Mod Live cannot even get accurate airtime on there goggles using GPS, accelerometer, and all the other shit that they have in there goggles... Like i would drop money on something that has no use to me while i am using it...

At least with the goggles, i can read text, see next track, view my helmet camera, see how fast i am going and what the time is... Haha

#10 ·
I must admit, I'm nerdy enough that I kinda like the idea, if it works. Not so much for what they are hyping it for (sharing with friends), but just to measure my own progression. I've never actually tried Alpine Replay, but I use Google Tracks occasionally to check my top speed. Again, not to compare with friends, but to track my progress.

Of course, Trace will probably be ridiculously expensive and that'll completely kill my interest. :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.