Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Building your own house
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #53 (permalink)
mixie
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Very nice!!! Yeah I've seriously thought about getting rid of sod. We get good grass weather for May and June, but then it dries up bad for July-September. Have to water often and it just seems like a waste!
not to mention all the chemical weed killer...Im a fucking hippie about that shit. Anyway, it's pretty easy to do esp if you have an eye for design. Just do some research on native plants where you live. Oh wait, you have winter and freezing tempertures? Yeah....hm. Don't know if I can help you there because it rarely if ever gets below freezing where I am...

but I will say we paid under 50 bucks for two scoops of gravel. I think a scoop was like um...3 cubic feet 3 inches deep? I have no idea what Im talking about...it was a fuck ton of gravel, that's all I know. And less then 30 bucks for all those red tufty grassy things. Gravel, mulch and native grasses are amazingly cost effective and striking looking if I don't say so myself.

Epic, just do what I did...don't quit your day job, just date a carpenter/builder/painter who has all the tools including a table saw. It's much easier that way. I sit in a nice air conditioned office collecting a paycheck. Then I just give it to him to spend at home depot lol!! And every day I get to come home from work and inspect the progress...which is always awesome!

Oh and I am in the process of selling this house buying a total fixer at the top of a canyon. I just spent ten years fixing up that house (roof, plumbing, electrical, paint, trim, floors, bathroom) and Im going to sell it and start all over again. But hey, I will be at the top of the fucking canyon on the very edge of national forrest and hiking trails. YES!!!!!!!!! We don't have new houses where I live. or empty land, really.

Last edited by mixie; 08-06-2013 at 02:48 PM.
mixie is offline   Reply With Quote