Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Need more numbers and stats. Wide boards?
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 05:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
halfasemitone

Question Need more numbers and stats. Wide boards?

Hi all,

There's many many choices out there whoa!! I've done as much research as I could on new beginner gear but haven't found much. I looked into Snowboard magazines and all I get is ads with no relevant descriptions and pictures of people super high in the air. Those are great but even the buyers guides aren't helpful. All they are just opinions and blurbs that have nothing to do with specs. So........

That's why I came here and read many threads. There are so many great knowledgeable people here so I'll ask.

I'm new to, have never tried, but am picking up snowboarding. (My buddy is getting me into it). I am 5'11" and weigh alot! (260lbs... that will change this year. I promise!!) I have a size 12 dress shoe. I've been hearing that a wide board is what I should be looking for. Is this true? Also, should I get a stiffer board since I'm very heavy even though I'm a beginner? Any suggestions on which boards and brands that I can add to my excel spreadsheet that I've made so far with pricing?

For those who are already thinking it.... stop. I WILL rent gear on my first few times BUT, the reason why I'm getting a whole bunch of new stuff early is because it's a gift. I just don't want to turn down a limited time offer until next season. Who knows if my friends will be offering to pick up the bill for good gear next year!

Thanks to all who read this. I'm glad to see that there more than just magazines and brand snobs out there (like in some shops.... not naming any names.....)