Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

New tech or just ride what i've got?

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  jayk 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I've been riding for a year now, and done nearly 4 weeks of mountain riding, gone from beginner to inter pretty quickly.

I ride UK Indoor domes too.

I bought this kit last year after reading up reviews, Ride DH 2.6 152 (Im 5'7 67kg, Size 7.5 boot), Burton FreeStyle Bindings, Burton Moto boots.

Ive never riden anything else, so dont know what it feels like. But im finding id like more response from my bindings, im getting heal lift in my boots, the straps on the bindings dig in to my boot, and the ratchets are not great, nor is the toe strap. So im pretty keen to change my bindings, and boots.

Ive ordered Nike Vapen's after reading that there a pretty solid boot, and work all around the mountain and park.

However for bindings after reading im thinking Burton Malavita's or Cartel's would do the job?

Any advice one if the kit im looking at would do the job for all mountain, but some time in the park too, and indoor park time too.

Im going to keep my board, i think it does the job, it just struggles on the powder days, or its probably just my pants riding lol.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Jay

See less See more
#3 ·
I thought Burton boots and Burton bindings would be ok. My brother uses Vans boots and Burton freestyle bindings too, but he has no complaints.

I spent ages reading and setting the boot to binding right, but the ankel strap is deffinatly giving me issues, it hurts and feels like its going through my boot :dizzy:

I also get pain on the outside of my front foot.

I'll give that ago, not sure if the Vapens are going to fit but they were £70 delivered so i thought it was worth ago, if not i'll have to send them back and maybe wait for shops to get stock closer to the season and try boot & binding compatibility.

#4 ·
Yeah, Burton boot and binding compatibility is a given. There's a Burton binding rep who posts here frequently. He could provide more info if he pops his head in here.

I have similar issues with my Flux SF45 bindings and Thirty Two boots on my freeride board. The heel area back of my boot is too wide and I have really jam my boot in to get it to fit and then do a penguin walk for a bit and only then can I fully tighten the straps. It's a real pain the ass to have to do this everytime I get off the lift. Size 9.5 boot - medium binding so not sure why this is case. Luckily I don't have any pain from it though.

#5 ·
Ah cool that would be helpful. I got a 3hr lesson on Sunday so will go over with my instructor and just make sure im setup right.

My brother has the same issue as you, he has to jam his Vans into the binding, his boot is abit wide compared to mine, but it doesnt sound as extreme as yours.

#6 ·
Where in England are you based, there are some good stores around, stay away from the generic crap like Snow & Rock that are owned by investment bankers purely to rape the industry and find a local store...

Most will price match and also have very good staff who ride themselves...

#7 ·
Get good fitting boots first, will probably fix most of your problems, and are most important.

Cartel is a stiff binding, malavita is medium and genesis is medium, any of those are great bindings. Freestyle is the entry level binding, you will find the ones above feel much more solid.

Start with boots.

#9 ·
Thanks, I'll try the Vapen's on and see how they feel. If there no good I'll have to pop to a store and try a few on.

Then I guess I need to match them upto a binding. Any recommendations, for just an all round good binding, that will do hours of riding, groomers, pow, park, indoor, etc.

Would anyone suggest I change the DH 2.6 I have? Or is it a good all round board?
Thanks

#10 ·
I love my flows... Haha

Got 3 boards and 3 sets, ordering a new set for my new board that i pick up in 6 weeks from the UK... ;

Have a look on... http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/SnowDepartment.aspx for some great deals, but try everything in store 1st... Hehe

There is so much "last season" gear out there, bargains are easy to find... ;)

#11 ·
Which flows have you got, there are so many.

I keep hearing everyone saying how good the Rome 390s are too.

Too much tech and not enough riding. I don't think I'm good enough to notice much diifference from tech yet, but if I can get a comfortable pain free fit, and kit that will last whilst I progress I'm happy.

#12 ·
Well i rode indoor on a freestyle camp on the weekend.

My instructor said the initial pain i get on the outside of my front foot is cramp, (i only get it for the first few runs). He said its normal.

I got a pair of Burton Malavita's from last season for like £100. So i'll see what there like, the base of my foot did start to hurt yesterday, especially as we were hittting the kicker all day. Hoping the new bindings are more comfortable as my boots seemed OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.