Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Gnu R/C MTX vs. Burton Hero
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
dave1billion

Yes, actually. My wife and I ordered both for Christmas (accidentally) and I had a RC BTX 157.5 and a Skata Banana 159. So I was able to do a side-by-side comparison.

One was purely cosmetic. The Green (Chartreuse?) and yellow graphics on the Skate Banana turned me off. The RC has better graphics IMHO. That's pretty lame, but if you're paying around $500 for a board aesthetics matter.

Holding up the 159 to the 157.5 together showed the 159 SB was only about a half cm longer, although it was wider as the specs indicated. So I figured I'd get pretty much the same amount of lift from the RC for powder days. I was actually surprised how similar the boards were.

From reviews, the RC is a little stiffer and more stable at speed and more of an all-around board than the more park-oriented SB.

I've also read about the SB having problems with the top sheet delaminating (although the warranty coverage is great). I read that the RC is supposed to be more resilient due to their automated manufacturing process. It was hard to find any definitive data on this, however. Just anectodal reports.

And last, but not least, since the Skate Banana is hyped so highly I simply chose the lower profile Rider's Choice since I'm only an intermediate rider and didn't want to look like a poser with the more flashy "IN" snowboard while busting my ass as I try to learn my way around in the park. I've always been a rather low profile type.

So one cosmetic reason, a couple of technical reasons, and a self-conscious reason.

Again, all my info was from reading other people's reviews so I can't give any first-hand info. Hopefully I'll be able to give some feedback in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by dave1billion; 01-05-2009 at 09:19 PM.
dave1billion is offline   Reply With Quote