Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Binding selection?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Pigpen 
#1 ·
I have been out of the game for a little while due to injuries that kept me from really being able to ride like I used to. I am looking for some bindings to go on my Lib Tech La Niña 162. I have always liked Burton, and when I started riding they were kind of the gold standard so I rode them exclusively, Customs, Missions... Of their lineup, the Cartel is the binding that I'm looking at as far as flex. Haven't settled on boots yet, but its going to be something stiffer like a DC Travis Rice size 11. So, for hard charging deep pow with occasional forays into the backcountry via sled or boot pack- what other bindings should I be looking at that are comparable or better than the Cartel? Thanks.

#2 ·
Cartels are pretty sick....

Well from your description you are gonna get a bunch of rec's for super stiff freeride bindings which Cartels are not. Also not everyone likes the absolute stiffest binding for freeriding.

That being said your Cartel is a perfect starting point and you can't go wrong, they maybe be a little on the softer/park side, I'd also consider the Malavita, they are deluxe.

Another solid all-rounder this year looks like the new K2 Company.

Maybe Now IPO also.

#5 ·
Well from your description you are gonna get a bunch of rec's for super stiff freeride bindings which Cartels are not. Also not everyone likes the absolute stiffest binding for freeriding.

That being said your Cartel is a perfect starting point and you can't go wrong, they maybe be a little on the softer/park side, I'd also consider the Malavita, they are deluxe.

Another solid all-rounder this year looks like the new K2 Company.

Maybe Now IPO also.
Do you know if the '14 Malavitas are stiffer or softer than the '14 Cartels?

#8 ·
Significant change in the highback on the Cartels from from 2011-12 to 2012-13. New/current one is considerably shorter and softer than the old one. Not necessarily a bad thing as it brings the Cartel back to what it used to be - but definitely something to be aware of. Interestingly, the stiffer highback was and still is on the Mission.
But overall Burton has been tending to go softer in most bindings recently - Cartel, Genesis, and apparently the new Diode highback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.