Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Picked up a board last night

998 views 8 replies 1 participant last post by  tands05 
G
#1 ·
As the title reads, I picked up a snowboard last night, and got a really good price on it. I wanted to see if people sometimes liked smaller boards for a bit more agility obviously trading off for stability at higher speeds.

Stats:
My wieght usually varies between 210-215, and I'm 6'2", and use a 12 boot

Board:
Burton Air 161, 24.9cm waist

There is an Air 165 out there, but the price that I picked up the 161 at was way too good (165). Anyway, I've riden a 163 Supermodel and 164 Cruzer Wide, and felt fine on both of them. Going from a 163 to a 161 doesn't seem like much of a difference to me, and the waist of the supermodel is only 5mm wider at 25.4cm versus 24.9 for the Air that I just bought. The bindings are Burton Cartels that I picked up for 65 new (another awesome price).

Aside from being slow in deeper powder, is there anything REALLY wrong with the size board for me?

G
#2 ·
I am going from a never summer 171cm big guy to a never summer 161cm, im 6 2 and 225. I think it will be ok , 161 is still a good size for us big guys! I dont get to ride till april this year so keep me posted if you get some time on it.

#4 ·
You'll be fine on a 161, esp a NS. They tend to run a touch stiffer than most other decks, so that will help make up for some the size difference. Depending on what type of terrain you normally ride, you'll get a lot more menuverbaility out of the shorter board. You should have a lot of fun with that thing.

G
#3 ·
going to Breckenridge, Keystone, etc beginning of February. I do plan to give it a try at our local 'hill'. What width is the 161 that you are going to? Should I be worried about dragging at 24.9cm?

#7 ·
Honestly, no idea. Not that I dislike Burton, I just havn't touched one of their decks in awhile. However, it does not surprise me that the Air is noticably stiffer than the Bullet. If memory serves right, the Bullet is a "lower-end" model than the Air (correct me if I am wrong on that one). Usually the all-mountain freestyle decks (i.e. the air) that are on the "higher-end" tend to be a bit stiffer. Usually this is because the more expensive decks tend to be for more "experienced" riders, and thus a touch stiffer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.