Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - So I'm Thinking about starting a low-key snowboard company
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
MunkySpunk
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

OK you're crazy.

Hi, my name is reality.

What? Are you going to make these in your basement? Isn't your mom gonna get pissed?

I applaud your drive, but get your foot in the door before you go knocking down any walls. Do you know anything about making snowboards? Laminates, fiberglass, composite technology, solvents, p-tex, epoxies, wax, metalwork, math, chemistry, mechanical engineering, materials engineering, physics, data gathering, analysis of said data.

Not to mention getting a business loan and starting a real, legal business? A cool company name does not even a crappy board make, much less a good one.

If you're making your own boards, then you've gotta have much more than the drive and a dope-sounding company name - plant your nose in those hard sciences books and keep it there for about 14 years. That's how I got my job. If you're going to just buy OEM boards, slap pretty graphics on it and push it out the door, then what sets you apart from the million other cheap board makers?

Maybe apply for an internship at a pre-existing board factory, spin it into a job, go to college, move to R&D and get lots more experience.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote