Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Please Help Asap: Legal To Have Boards Out Of Car Window?

2K views 7 replies 1 participant last post by  jimmerjammermrk 
G
#1 ·
I know this topic doesn't belong in this thread, but I'm in a rush and need to know the answer ASAP and this forum is the most active of all the other ones. Sooo...

My friend's van doesn't have winter tires, and it's snowing like crazy here. So it would be smart if we went skiing tomorrow in my car. The problem is, the only way I can fit 4 people and 3 boards is to have the boards standing vertical in the back seat, with the top portion of the boards sticking out of a window (upwards, not towards the other lane!). Do you think the cops would stop me for this??

Thanks.

#3 ·
actually in most states it is illegal to have things sticking outta sun roofs. just like you cant stand out the sunroofs in limos in vegas anymore legally. so to answer your question no it would not be smart to go skiing in your car if you are hauling snowboards. You do have a trunk dont you?

G
#4 ·
Yup, but it doesn't fit in a regular trunk.
And the stupid back seat is designed in a way that all of it bends down. The last car I had I had the option to bend down only the middle section or the whole thing.

G
#6 ·
I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and I asked both the OPP (Ontario Police, which is the provincial police and equivalent to the state police) and the Toronto police and they both replied, with some hesitation and a tone that implied 'wtf, why are you calling me at 3:52AM to ask such a dumb question?' that it's OK. Actually, my question was 'is it illegal?' and they both replied "not that I'm aware of."

I'll take my chances. Should be safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.