Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Official Michigan Winter Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #3886 (permalink)
david_z
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankkassa View Post
Well guys im back! i have become insane from not snowboarding i litterally dream snowboarding every night for the past two weeks... Any ways a season pass wasnt worth it for me last year due to getting bored of going on the same runs over and over again. Can you guys recommend some places in south east michigan that are big and have decent snow for michigan? thanks hopefully we can get through this struggle together.
You've got 4 options, maybe 5 depending on what you consider to be "Southeast".
  • Alpine Valley; this one is alright and actually seems to be not as crowded as the others. They usually have a decently fun beginner park, but the rest of their park area is fairly advanced/ bigger features & jumps. The big park lacks any semblance of "flow". The terrain is what it is; 300 vertical feet doesn't get you much, but it is split up over 2 or 3 peak areas, which is nice. The bar has a great view of the mini park.
  • Pine Knob; probably the most crowded on account of being the most central to Oakland County/etc. They do good parks for the most part but jumps can be sketchy. The terrain is small and sometimes feels even smaller than it actually is. I really only go here if I plan on riding park, or if I'm crunched for time and riding solo since it's closest to my house.
  • Mt. Holly; the larger of these areas I think, although they're all about the same vert, Mt. Holly makes better use of their acreage and spreads the terrain out nicely. Also, there are fun side hits and banks and what not if you know where to look. Their park is somewhat lacking, but they have had the best jumps consistently the last few years, of all sizes & shapes & skill levels from 2-footers to maybe 25 footers.
  • Mt. Brighton; ordinarily this is an "also-ran" but on account of being acquired by Vail Resorts this year, I'm really looking forward to a new Mt. Brighton. Vail is pumping $10MM into the place, new lift towers, re-graded terrain, awesome looking auto-cad drawings of their terrain parks, refurbished lodge/bar facilities/etc.
  • Hawk Island; this is pretty much only a terrain park. There is also a tubing hill, and a walking trail, and stuff like that but as far as terrain goes it's just one run, and all covered with park features. If you want to ride a lot of park and get good in a hurry, this is the place to go. If you don't ride park, even though it is only like $9 for a lift ticket, you won't have any fun here. But if you do ride park, you have to go here. Technically this is not "southeast" Michigan since it's in Lansing, it's more "central".

There's a place called Apple Mountain up near Saginaw or somewhere up there a short hop off of I-75 but that's well beyond what I'd consider "southeast" and even Mt. Holly is pushing the limits of being "southeast". I've never been to Apple, but I expect it to be similar to Pine Knob.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 42

Mt. Brighton - 13
Mt. Holly - 5
Hawk Island - 3
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1