Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Need some advice on keeping warm
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
RVM
Veteran Member

I have some cheapie snowboard pants a friend gave me (I don't have a lot of cash) with practically no insulation whatsoever. I wear some a UA (made of spandex mostly I think) base layer with some light thermals over it and am usually fine down to 20F with just moderate riding. I'm not good enough yet to just shred all day.

But yeah, if you don't like the cold you should have at least one layer in your pants in 10F weather.

In my experience a hood is useless on the mountain. I don't bother. It limits my vision, gets in my way and the wind just catches it and pulls it off anyway. Get earmuffs, or a helmet with earflaps, or something to go over your ears. If there is even a slight breeze you're going to really wish you had it (and there will be just from you moving downhill on your board). No matter how hard you ride your ears will freeze in that weather without adequate protection.

Since you don't like the cold, bring layers for your upper and lower body, just in case. You can always take a layer out, but if you get really cold and need more layers and don't have them you could be in for a horrible day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel5890 View Post
Ok thanks. So you think some poly thermals over the UA base layer on my legs would be good? For my ears, I plan to at least have a beanie covering them put probably a hood too .
RVM is offline   Reply With Quote