Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Bombing The Slopes Question

Tags
carving
21K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  Deacon 
#1 ·
So, I've been wondering, How fast is fast in terms of snowboarding? The reason I ask is because I'm going to get a new board and the words describing how it is oftenly use "fast...bombing...for carving".

So I ask you, How fast is bombing the hill?

Is it like tears in my eyes, breakneck speeds, straight lining the whole thing or is it more like fast carving?

#2 ·
Well for me "bombing" is a term used to define straightlining a hill, very little edging, no carving and seepds from 50-75kmph, maybe more.

Now I don't think companies design boards just for that lol, but I'm guessing they mean charging, which is riding fast and aggressive on hardpack/groomers and chopped up snow (aka. resort riding). A mix of aggressive carving, some bombing etc. A little stiffer board with some damping basically.

#8 · (Edited)
not directed at anyone, but I do champion this issue.

No I just spend enough days at the resort and time on this forum to know that most people who are getting seriously hurt have just barely enough skill to provide a confidence level way beyond their actual ability.

If you don't ride in this manner you will actually get better as you try to snowboard and turn instead of straightline it.

If you do ride this way, it will kill you at Keystone, literally.

Gravity has a way of sucking you down the hill and speed is fun, but taking the effort to enjoy the bits between the lift rides is key.

Being a dick and telling speed freaks to slow the fuck down is actually looking out for their progression AND safety.

I've been as fast as anyone here on a snowboard too, big fucking deal. Quoting an inaccurate GPS number about the effect of gravity on my body as if skill were involved is just silly. 50-70mph? Go learn 3's for fucks sake or switch to skiing.

#7 · (Edited)
My best is 70.8mph. That was in warmer conditions in the sun. I never do it with people around or over blind rollers. No turning involved, friction and wind resistance are the limiting factors

I've been looking for a better trail in the shade to go to first thing in the morning but it's hard to find a good long steep enough run for it

#12 · (Edited)
I work on them alot more than I do going 60mph.

Then again I want to be a snowboarder with a little freestyle. I'm not trying to monoski.

I've only landed a couple 3s. I'm old and not gymnastic, but I try. I throw grandpa 1's all the time tho. I try to do all 4! I try to spend as much time airborne as possible.

#13 · (Edited)
I just enjoy all types of riding. Growing up on the east coast and skateboarding, I did almost all park riding. I enjoy rails, jumps, quarky kinks

Out here in CO I've been doing about 50/50. I love tight trees, wide open bowls, I even enjoy the challenge of getting through moguls. Powder days are always a must when available

but on a good day with no fresh snow, I'll enjoy going as fast as I can down a straigh flat groomed run, provided that NO ONE is on it. In between runs through the park, sometimes there's just not much around and I feel like going fast

After riding for the last 15 years, I still enjoy every part of riding, including pushing my equipment to go faster. I'm not some out of control idiot who has no idea how to stop himself. I understand there are risks to moving faster, and that I need a LOT more space to slow down. I'm not just flapping around in the wind ready to crash

I have actually started to look into racing boardercross as well. It's just difficult to get started, especially since I'm older now

#14 ·
High speed is neckbreaking speed anyway, even if you "only" do 40mph. That's about the speed they use for chrash tests of cars... these dummies look pretty awful in cars without airbags... you're pretty naked while snowboarding.

To OPs actual question for numbers: if they say, the board is good for charging, I expect it to be chatter free at "higher" speed up to around 50, if it's for bombing, I expect a chatter free plank at speeds above.

#30 ·
It is not hard to get into boarder cross. Get on the USASA website, sign up, show up for the race and race. You need a lot more skill than being able to ride fast to be able to go fast on a SBX course. Most of the guys out there will give you pointers on how not to die or get seriously injured

#32 ·
It is not hard to get into boarder cross. Get on the USASA website, sign up, show up for the race and race. You need a lot more skill than being able to ride fast to be able to go fast on a SBX course. Most of the guys out there will give you pointers on how not to die or get seriously injured
I can +1 this part... They've had courses setup at Nakiska and Lake Louise. I've tried to ride them and had to speed check WAY more than I thought I would.

I think it's about 25% skill 75% balls, and mine just aren't that big!

Here's a video I saw when looking into buying the Coal Race board... :blink:

This course is much faster and more wide open than the courses in Alberta however.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.