Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#3,904 ·
Opening day where?

Last year, yeah it was November, but then many were closed for much of December until Christmas. What a bummer. Kinda made up for it with March, though.
I was at Highlands last year for my birthday trip around the 7-11th of Dec. Boyne was so pitiful, I didn't even bother! ...and it was raining when I hit Highlands by 2-2:30pm. (I rode in the rain tho!) :dunno: Next two days weren't the worst, but not that great either!

I'm hoping we get enough early cold temps and real snow that the locals, (PK, Holly, etc.) can be open before my birthday trip this year! Although after reading BA's review of the new Marhar, if Caberfe is open? I will likely head up there to demo one of those MarHar Throwback decks!

That is if my truck dying yesterday doesn't kill ALL my finances for boarding this season!

#3,903 ·
Opening day where?

Last year, yeah it was November, but then many were closed for much of December until Christmas. What a bummer. Kinda made up for it with March, though.

I always plan on riding somewhere over Thanksgiving weekend. The last few years we've been pretty fortunate and have had local hills open by then.

November 29 certainly seems reasonable, and remember, Tyler can cover Hawk Island in like, 2 nights of snowmaking.

#3,907 ·
I'm so stoked for this coming season! I have a new burton ak cyclic jacket and last years cartels to put on my evo on the way! Sorry to change the topic, just can't wait till it snows again:yahoo: If you haven't yet, you need to head over to transworld snowboarding and watch the burton street and backcountry movies. They are good and they are free!

#3,909 ·
Yeah, no problem. They actually had a movie up for one day that you could download for free, but now you have to buy it. I got it, but I can't remember the name of it. lol I know, so I've heard.:) I'm just hoping it fits alright. I have a poacher jacket size M and it's on the big side for me so I'm hoping the S will fit perfect. They didn't have M left anymore so if it doesn't fit I'm screwed.

I chose the color black. I know its boring, but it goes with about anything. I'm thinking about getting some bright green pants to go with it. What do you guys think? I always thought black and neon green go swell together.

#3,918 ·
oh man those are really bright green like, there's another word for that color, almost lemon-y...

{googles it...}

?
Remind me,... Is it, "Real Men" don't wear Chartreuse?
Or is it real men are "Confidant" enough to wear Chartreuse?

(....personally, I think it's real men don't know WTF Chartreuse IS!!!!)
Lol!

#3,924 ·
Maybe these? 686 pretty consistently has the widest selection of colors. They cost a bit more unless you can find some on closeout from last year, but they're solid, solid pants. There's a reason everyone who owns a pair recommends them.

Bonus: they come with a fully removable pair of fleece/sweatpants liner.

Smarty Original Cargo Pant | 686 Pants

#3,930 ·
Thanks for the help Karpediem. I like the design and build quility of the 686 pants better, but I do kinda like the lime color from sessions. :) I need to check the chart for 686 again, but I know I'll need either small or medium. I'm looking for a little brighter green then that medium pair you linked. Thanks anyhow though. Thats a great deal!

#3,933 ·
lol, unfortunately yeah.

I just chalk it up to the fact that it's the off-season and people are restless.
Not just restless! I've only been here a little over 2 years, but this summer we had some real douchenozzle trolls show up! I don't remember an influx of morons & twits like that the first year and a half! :dunno: Add that to restless and yeah, this place did go pretty much freakin' nuts! (Myself included!)

#3,939 ·
Hey bud, can u link me to those walpapers. Id like to get something cool for my laptop n maybe my phone! Tia! :thumbsup:

#3,941 ·
Awesome!!! Thanks dude! Sum really sweet shit there! :thumbsup:

#3,947 ·
Unless you're already in super good shape I think I would steer clear of Insanity, even P90X in favor of something a little less "intense". The thing about HIIT and other workouts like those is they put a tremendous amount of stress on your joints and soft tissue if you haven't worked your way up to that level of intensity, you're putting yourself at greater risk of injury.

They've got some lower intensity stuff, and cardio-focused workouts that won't stress you as hard and would be a good warm-up for the pre-season, they'd still get you in better shape, etc.

#3,944 ·
I went ahead and ordered these in size small green686 Smarty Original Cargo 3-In-1 Pant - Men's | Backcountry.com

I got my jacket the other day and I am impressed. It is noticeably lighter then my burton poacher jacket (although its a size bigger). It fits me a lot nicer than my poacher jacket does, it was just to big. If anyone's interested in buying a jacket I will probably list it on here soon. It's a burton poacher jacket size M khaki color if anyone's interested. I have a pair of boots and maybe some other stuff to put up to.