Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - How to figure out if regular or goofy is for you???
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
gamer539

For me, I find that the best methods are:

1) If you skateboard, which ever foot you ride with forward, that's your forward foot.

2) Next best way if you don't skateboard, wear socks, and slide on a slippery waxed floor, like the kitchen, see which foot is forward (if you're at the mountain, just imagine, may not work too well; or if they slide straight forward, FAIL). EDIT: tell them to slide sideways. much better way of saying it (from Triple8Sol 's post =D).

3) If you're a basketball player, which foot do you normally pivot on, or tend to use, or is more comfortable with? The stationary foot is the backfoot and the moving is the front.

4) I also heard of the have them stand up, you give them a slight push and see which foot goes forward, and that's the front foot. I find this method quite flawed

5) Just ask them which they feel is most comfortable, or just try going down the mountain.

6) All else fail, just have them go regular as like 80% of snowboarders have regular stance, then they can progress and then figure it out and switch, if they realize that they're actually goofy; they'd be ahead in learning switch =P.

Last edited by gamer539; 02-01-2009 at 08:24 AM.
gamer539 is offline   Reply With Quote