Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

heel lift? what to do? I can not fit in to boots that are any smaller.

17K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Bones 
G
#1 ·
#8 ·
Honestly, i would try some good insoles like Superfeet or the like and replace your insoles.
I bought them for other reasons(after seeing the cheap paper shit that was in my Rulers), but they also had the added effect of raising my foot up slightly higher in the boot all but eliminating my heel lifting that would happen. The boots fit even better(they felt great without) and i couldnt get the leverage to lift my heel while on my toes edge.

G
#11 ·
ding ding ding.

it wasn't until i was fitted by a proper boot guy at a quality shop that i even realized i have narrow ankles and should have been wearing salomon boots for their nice tight ankle fit. i tried on a handful of different boots from different brands to confirm the booty's observation and by golly he was spot on. ever since i've been wearing salomon f-24's w/o any heel lift or funky movement that shouldn't be going on. 8)

yes, i did say "by golly" - you read right. :p

G
#10 ·
Welp what i found is that the heel lift is actually occuring in the liner and not the boot. Cheap boots maybe?? i dunno but i added an insole inside the liner and it feels good now. We'll see if this change achieves anything this wednesday when i hit the mountains.

#12 · (Edited)
Some people won't be able to find boots that fit perfectly out of the box. It's not always possible to find boots that don't require some kind of work. I have really narrow ankles and extremely wide and short feet. In addition, my natural, standing up straight at attention stance has my feet ducked out about 30 degrees each. I've been riding +26/-20 lately. I literally don't think I'd be able to ski because pointing both of my feet straight ahead causes my knees to flex inwards and leads to a lot of knee strain.

I have tried, to date this year, about 18 different pairs of boots, from Salomon wides to Burtons to DCs. Not a single one, not even after heat molding or adding Superfeet or other orthotics, would 100% remove heel lift when putting all weight on the balls of my feet (lifting from the ankle) unless the boots were too small to fit the dimensions of the rest of my feet, in which case I suffered from loss of circulation, cramps and other problems.

The short, quippy answer to so many boot questions on here about "finding boots that fit right in the first place" is rather asinine and assumptive and not at all helpful to the person looking for advice.

To reply to the original poster:

If your boots are so roomy inside that you need an external ankle brace thing like you linked to, then I would take the advice of other people here (and the person who posted a comment on the item itself) and consider new boots.

G
#13 ·
The short, quippy answer to so many boot questions on here about "finding boots that fit right in the first place" is rather asinine and assumptive and not at all helpful to the person looking for advice.
Agreed. Luckily, I have found a really good pair of boots, even then my heel lift hasn't been elminated completely. I still get it even with Superfeet insoles on tight fitting boa focus boots. It is minimal, but when i get on the lift i can still feel it.

Feet are unique, there is no boots that 100% fit your feet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.