Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Official Michigan Winter Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #4058 (permalink)
david_z
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Does anyone have any information on opening day plans for various resorts this year? Particularly, I'm curious about Crystal and Caberfae. Dave, anyone, do you know anything on their plans barring any unusual weather?
Seems most of the up-north resorts target Thanksgiving weekend, Friday I think, as their opener. Obviously weather permitting. Some years it works out, some it doesn't. I don't think they ever open earlier than that, just too far away from major population centers to get enough demand to justify an earlier opening.

The local hills around here typically set the same target of Thanksgiving weekend, but they've been known to open earlier weather permitting. They are able to do this because they're much closer to large population of skiers/snowboarders, and also it only takes 3-4 days of good snowmaking weather for them to cover enough terrain to open.

Since I started keeping track, I think the earliest I've ridden was November 17 at Alpine Valley.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote