Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - blown out knee = done for a long, long time
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
jikastew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopN View Post
Well today was a fun day = ) I essentially blew up my left knee trying some stupid one footed trick. Don't exactly know how everything happened, don't really care to either. All I know is that I tore just about everything in my knee. This also marks the second time I've torn my ACL in my left knee.

So pissed. Obviously going to opt for surgery, cause there's no way I can't be active. Maybe if I was like 30 or 40 years older I could deal without it, but I'm 17, you know?

I just don't even know what to say or do at this point... Anyone else ever tear their ACL/MCL/PCL with miniscus damage all at the same time?
The classic triad is ACL/MCL/miniscus.

The addition of the PCL is troublesome but not unworldly. Carson Palmer (NFL) had a knee repair done for the same injury.

First of all, count your lucky stars you didn't damage blood vessels and nerves in the region which could have threatened your lower leg viability going forward. Second, you will obviously require surgery. Your recovery will be more difficult and longer than the standard triad rehab.

In all honesty, your knee will never be the same. However, with good surgery and good rehab, you should be able to return to a normal life; and you should be able to return to the mountain. It'll take time. Hang in there, don't get discouraged. Listen to your Orthopedic surgeon, not friends or the internet!