Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - South Korea?
Thread: South Korea?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
santacruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawkDriver View Post
I've been in korea for the last 3 years and i'll tell you the riding is not great. If you're from some of the big winter sports areas ie colorado, utah etc and expect that kind of shred you're gonna be disappointed. that being said tho it is fun, the people are super friendly and its something cool to do. Most of the decent areas are up towards pyeongchang. you could look up yongpyong, alpensia, pheonix, and high 1 resorts online theyre all up there. If you end up in cheonan though those places are about 3 hours drive away. (I live in Pyeongtaek and its about 2.5-3 hrs for me). a little closer to home is yangji pine resort and jisan which are right next to each other about 40 min away from where I live. They are both VERY small though but like I said its still pretty fun to go. Oak valley is a little bit further and its a bit bigger. I guess everything is comparable to east coast riding. lots of man made snow on small mountains/hills.
Second this. I've lived in Korea since 2011, and been to Phoenix Park, Yongpyong and Alpensia. Nothing spectacular (and kinda hard to believe the Olympics will be held here), but they have decent snowmaking equipment and occasionally get some decent snow - short season though, like 3 months tops. All the resorts have ski buses going to/from all corners of Korea (free if you've got a season pass, at least with Phoenix Park), so it's easy to make a weekend of it.

Tried searching for any backcountry guides & all I came up was this (I'm not affiliated with these guys & never been on the trip myself) http://www.teamaxadventure.com/modul...60&ino_code=18 - looks like it is definitely possible to do it yourself if you're adventurous.

Last edited by santacruzin; 11-25-2013 at 05:48 AM.
santacruzin is offline   Reply With Quote