Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

custom boards - yes or no

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  fossilX 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys

I need your advice. Recently I found some sites on the net where you can build and design your own board, so I'm not so familiar with such sites, really complex (I would say). So I thougth about asking you for help. Would you recommend such sites to me, or do you think they don't offer good quality although high prices. :)

i hope some of you have made experiences with custom boards, i'd be very glad if someone could give me some feedback about it. And I'd like to hear your opinion of such sites where you can build your own boards - good or not good?

thank you so much
:dunno:

#2 ·
Depends on who the boards are coming from. I know Burton do a custom graphic service but they pretty much pull your pants down and bum you on the price. Prior also make sick boards and do custom base's and topsheet but if you only want one board done its like $300 a go so also really expensive. They also let you create your own shapes etc but its alot of dollar. Although prior kinda have a pick and mix choice of graphics anyway to choose from but not loads.

To be honest I just wouldnt bother with customising, for me it wouldnt be worth the cash.

G
#3 ·
no direct experience with custom boards but have heard donek and prior make quality boards.

IMO, one caveat about custom boards is that one would have to know exactly what they were looking for (i.e. a beginning boarder style/taste may likely change as they progress in the sport).

#4 ·
REVOLUTION SNOWBOARDS! (Are they still in business?)

Graphics and design are one thing. When you begin looking at camber and sidecut radius you pretty much already know what it is you are after. If you can fine tune your riding down to the point where no board on the market has the stiffness in the nose or the turning radius that you require, you are ready for a custom board.

I had a custom board (a Walbridge Custom; made by Dimension Snowboards who are no longer in business). This board was like a cross between a bastard sword and a kitana. As stiff as a peice of plywood, a teflon base, a mellow sidecut radius, razor sharp edges. This beast was hard to tame but once learned was the one board that I would trust with my life. This was also an amazing racer, ZERO chatter on the high speeds. Worth every damn dollar!

G
#5 ·
So you would say only a custom board, if the boards in the shop aren't able to require one's needs anymore? The possibility to give your board individual design, individual touch aren't important for you??

#6 ·
boardangel said:
So you would say only a custom board, if the boards in the shop aren't able to require one's needs anymore? The possibility to give your board individual design, individual touch aren't important for you??
To some degree yes. Graphics don't make a board. Though to some it might be the thing they are looking for performance is what I am looking for. Fortunately if you have a performance need with a custom board generally the graphics are what you want.
I had a custom Neversummer Summit splitboard made last season. It was pricey $1300 USD. Because of that I was able to submit my own graphics or choose them from what they had at the wharehouse. Now since I really didn't care that much, but liked the Heritage graphics I went with those for the topsheet and base. Showing a little Colorado pride is all.
I could have gone as far is to mess with flex, materials and so on. The Summit did what I wanted, I just needed a splitboard variety for getting into the backcountry.

#7 ·
boardangel said:
Nah, not really. I find that my board gets covered in snow and ice after the first run, making any board design near impossible to see anyways. However, there are lots of ways to customize a board without having to shell out large coin for a custom job.

A few seasons ago I picked up a wicked deal on a Mark Frank Montoya World Industries board with Forum bindings. Total setup cost around $80. I wanted to give it to my kid but it had this HUGE ****** (chaev for Paolo's region) graphic on the board. You know, a whole bunch of rappers dancing around some guy spinning disks. My kid HATED it (kids can be superficial) so I went down to an automotive shop where they make custom decals for windows. I bought 3 feet of black decal material for about $7. I measured it up on the board and cut out a really unique design that covered the entire graphic. I then copied a design off the base which was a devil head, cut out the design on the decal material and added it to the nose of the board. So now the board had a blood red nose, a dark grey tail and the middle of the board had this cool black design. My kid rode it happily for two seasons, getting lots of compliments on it, then I sold it at a ski swap for $175 (without the bindings...I sold those separately for $80).

You can also pick up blank boards from companies like Option. Pick up a hobby airbrush gun (there is an attachment where you can use a spare tire as a compressor) and do it yourself or take it in to a shop that does custom airbrushing work. Once done, a few coats of automotive clearcoat will protect the finish and you are set (if you clearcoat it yourself, remember to WET sand in between coats with 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper. About 4 or 5 coats maximum.)

If you want to get hardcore about custom boards, for a few grand you can pick up all the equipment required to have your own garage snowboard factory. The custom jobs these ops do look sick! Check out this link Graf Snowboards

G
#9 ·
not sure if this is what you are looking for, but i have read threads on this forum and others that let you customize your top sheet, they print it as a sticker with directions on how to put it on YOUR board you already have

search or google it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.