Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - New Board Advice - all mountain/jumps
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
mattsnowboard

Default New Board Advice - all mountain/jumps

Hey,
I've been riding for about 10 years, but get out maybe a dozen times a year. I like to ride all mountain and park (1/3-1/2 of the time?). But I mainly hit jumps, a few boxes, but definitely not looking for a jib board. I'm somewhat new to the Pacific Northwest, but I'm not really looking for a powder board right now (I'm young, so I don't mind the extra work when I do get to ride powder). I want something to hit big kickers and do spins, but also just cruise around the whole mountain. Prefer a true twin, centered stance for riding switch.

I've had a 2006 K2 Darkstar (154) for a long time now and was pretty clueless to the new board tech. I got a chance to demo some Lib Tech/GNU boards recently, which have steered me a bit in the general direction of what I want, but I want some help narrowing down the list.

I tried the GNU Pickle 156 (wanted a Skate Banana, but they didn't have it). I wouldn't say I hated it, but I felt like it was my first time on a snowboard for the first run. Didn't like the "loose" feel to it. Loved the magnetraction, especially because there wasn't much snow and it could handle the really icy spots. Also, the asymmetric sidecut just felt weird to me. I didn't know about it until after I swapped boards, but I did feel like I wanted to ride more on my heels. I also tried a TRS 154. I really liked that board. It felt more "stable" and aggressive, like I'm used to on my traditional camber board.

Unfortunately, there wasn't enough snow to have any park jumps ready for the demo, so I only got a little feel for the boards on some natural hits. I did decide that I do not want a rocker board, but the hybrid camber boards that ride more like camber seemed fine. I'm not sure how the "rocker-camber-rocker" boards are, but I guess I'd like them. And I really want a more "aggressive" board. I'd also prefer a sintered base.

So I've come up with a list based on reviews at The Good Ride | A Snowboard Gear Buying Guide . I was looking for something that would be good for jumps, have good edge hold, and be good for speed. I'm not really sure which would be best. Also, I'm 150 lbs, 6 feet tall, 9.5 boot size, and ride a 15/-15 stance.

Lib Tech Hot Knife 156 (it seems like it would be more like a camber board than the TRS, which I did demo)
Salomon Sabatoge 156
Rome Mod 156
Ride DH 157
Lib Tech TRS 157
Ride Machete GT 157
Yes Trouble 156

I also looked at these boards, but cut them from my list:
Jones Mountain Twin (directional)
Never Summer Proto (the good ride described it as "semi-stable")

So any tips for the above boards or additional suggestions or advice are appreciated. I'm probably getting this board later in the season when I can find a deal.
mattsnowboard is offline   Reply With Quote