Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

gen. maintenance tips

311K views 475 replies 141 participants last post by  Etienne 
G
#1 ·
boarder or anyone else-

i think a good sticky would be a general maintenance thread of how to keep up your board. there's a lot of noobs on here (including myself) that could benefit from having that info all in one spot. stuff like how & how often to wax your board, how often to get the edges done, what that entails, how to store your board in the off season, etc.

just a thought. i know it'd be a lot of info to type up, but it would be beneficial to many new people that are otherwise lost on the matter.

G
#182 · (Edited)
Thanks all for your help!

I rode yesterday and I can say that it was FAST! I noticed today that the edges are wicked dry, so I just brushed off the old wax and redid a new wax job. This time I "crayoned" the entire surface, with extra crayoning at the edges... then I dripped a [i/little[/i] bit of wax in various places to give the iron a thin surface to slide on. After the crayoning, the board looks like half-burnt toast (about 4x more black spots than in the above photo.) lol.

#183 ·
I started waxing my board after reading how easy it is form this forum; special thanks for all who were very infomative and helpful especially oneplankawanka, legallyillegal, captainowns, slaughterhouse, and snowolf with his video. I think I'm doing a pretty good job and the fact that I'm taking pride in my hard work when I'm flying down the mountain. I do have one question, why am I scraping more wax off close to the edge than the rest of the board. Here's a picture to illustrate what I mean. Is this normal, am I scraping it unevenly.

And I couldn't get the dirty streaks on the white part of my board even with base cleaner and hard rubbing with paper towel, I'm thinking of using Gojo and see if I can get it out. Would Gojo be ok?

Thanks in advance for your help

G
#184 ·
I started waxing my board after reading how easy it is form this forum; special thanks for all who were very infomative and helpful especially oneplankawanka, legallyillegal, captainowns, slaughterhouse, and snowolf with his video. I think I'm doing a pretty good job and the fact that I'm taking pride in my hard work when I'm flying down the mountain. I do have one question, why am I scraping more wax off close to the edge than the rest of the board. Here's a picture to illustrate what I mean. Is this normal, am I scraping it unevenly.

http://i44.tinypic.com/osc2eo.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/23hlfub.jpg

And I couldn't get the dirty streaks on the white part of my board even with base cleaner and hard rubbing with paper towel, I'm thinking of using Gojo and see if I can get it out. Would Gojo be ok?

http://i41.tinypic.com/2nta8o7.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help
Just wondering. Why are you scraping diagonally? If you're scraping lightly, it shouldn't be a problem until you hit the base and once you get there, you can brush everything nicely. Otherwise, you might run the risk of "scraping against the grain" and creating new impressions on the board.

#185 ·
Thanks for your reply. I"m not scraping diagonally. I'm brushing at a 45 degree angle at the last pass like this guy in the video:

YouTube - Document Snowboard shows you how to wax your stick

I'm going to try it out tomorrow at Mt High so I'll see if I notice any improvement. Maybe I'm pushing down a little harder on the edge so when I wax again I'll pay closer attention and see if it comes out better.

#195 ·
Had a hot wax done on my stick today. Its like there is still wax on the base and edges. I am not going to use it again this year. If I bag it and store it for the summer and then scrape the left over wax it should be ok? When you run your hand over the base you can feel the wax. I used a small plastic ruler to scrape and see if there was wax and there was. I am a little vexed that they did not do a good job at the shop.:mad:

#196 ·
they might have expected you to be finished for the season and left the wax on on purpose. you are supposed to put a thick coat of wax on the base of your board and leave it on at the end of every season for storage. then you scrape the wax off before you go out for the first time next year.

#198 ·
Hey there.

Was wondering if anyone can answer this? I had a hot wax done as I stated above. There are dark spots. They look like blotches. I scraped the excess wax on the board after I got it done and they are still there even after a day of riding. They were not there before I had the hot wax done. Will base cleaner remove these? I am going to wax and leave it on over the summer so is base cleaner a good bet to clear this up?

#200 ·
Hey everyone, question about summer storage. I know it's recommended to put a nice thick layer of wax on the board, but the last time I rode it was slushy so my base is kinda dirty. Now I've read that base cleaner actually dries out your base, so I was wondering how to clean my base before waxing? Also, when I'm ready to ride again in the winter, should I re-wax the board? Or just scrape what I put on for the summer?

G
#202 ·
OK so I learnt the hard way not to use Loctite on your bindings, especially if they're plastic :( I need to use something because everything comes loose even if I tighten it the day I'm boarding and I don't want to have to keep tightening while on the mountain. People have suggested so far: toothpaste (apparently Union bindings approve this, or someone is making fun of me), teflon plumbers tape. Anything else work?

I've heard people say to use Rain-X on the topsheet to make snow and water fall off it easier, is Rain-X safe to use?

Also heard of putting Vaseline (petroleum jelly) in the binding holes you're not using to prevent rust? Is this safe also?

Cleaning the base, not safe to use Kerosene, check. Is Prepsol (Liquid hydrocarbons) safe to use? If not what type of citrus cleaning agent is?

#203 ·
I've heard toothpaste, one of the weaker loctite's, tape, basically everything you've said, i've heard, although I've never had the need to use any of it.

Forget the rain-x, dunno about prepsol, and you can use pretty much any orange/citrus based cleaner

G
#204 ·
blue loctite, no worries. I use automotive wax on the topsheet tip and tail only not between the binders, rain x would work if its not a matt finish. Use any solvent base cleaner sparingly and make sure you let it evaporate completly before applying wax.

#211 ·
Anyone ever experienced wax staining the base? I used a red coloured all temp wax when I put the summer coat on end of season and did the scrape and buff today and the white sections on my base have turned a pinkish colour in spots and I can't seem to get rid of it. Do you think it go away after a day of riding?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.