Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Breath Deflector?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  604al 
#1 ·
It was another -30 day at Tremblant...time for the full mask with no gaps under the googles, but...

Sooner or later, I always get a shot of hot breath up the vents of my goggles and the fog/frost starts.

Saw a couple of skiers with what looked like small breath deflectors attached to the bottom of their googles. I didn't get a chance to ask them where they got it and a google search is leading me nowhere.

Ideas?

#6 ·
I've got a two piece that looks similar. At -30, I don't care what I look like.

Same problem though. You've got to have it tucked under the goggles or you leave a small gap. And a small gap means frostbite in no time at -30. But if you tuck it under the googles (mine actually has a velcro strip to attach to the foam) then inevitably some of your breath gets in the goggles and at -30 it freezes instantly, no time for the goggle venting to do anything.

These mini, upside down air scoop things look like a smart idea. Block a lot of your moist breath from going up the bottom vent holes, but still get venting. They look like some kind of add-on accessory and I've only seen them at Tremblant and Mont Ste. Anne, two of the more bitterly cold places I've ever boarded at.

#11 ·
I've been using an Outdoor Research brand face mask that I love... very thin, bandana like shape with an opening for your nose and mesh for the mouth area while the rest of it is nylon backed by fleece... got it at a small outdoors store. search "face mask" on their site and you'll see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.