Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Did I scraped too much?? new to waxing

16K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  SnowDogWax 
#1 ·
Whatsup guys, new to the forum!

I just got a new board as an early christmas present, a libtech hot knife :yahoo: and recently decided to start waxing my own board. i picked up an iron and everything else id need to wax, and waxed last night.

the wax job seemed to go well for my first time, but i think i may have over scrapped the edges.. i noticed that the boards base along the edges seemed a little dry and pale too before i waxed, idk if its normal to buy a brand new board thats like that. anyways as im scraping along the edges with a plastic scraper, im getting all the wax off and noticed that there was some black dust in the wax scrapings. after i brushed and polished the board, the board is super smooth except for along the edges in some spots, in streaks. its a littleee rough to the touch, and it still looks a little dry.

did i damage my base?? what should i do?

#10 ·
From what I can see, you still have wax on your board in those areas. You need to get a green scotch brite pad and give those spots and the whole board for that matter a good rubbing. You will see the wax show up on the scotch brite and keep rubbing till those spots are as smooth as a babies backside, and then give it a brushing and you are good to go.

Otherwise, you can leave it as it is, ride it and that wax will wear off after your first run.

Your choice.

#17 ·
hahahaha nonono. it was plastic or whatever. but the brush didnt cause that to happen to the base, it was from scrapping the wax off. i just went over the rough surface with the brush again though with a good amount of pressure and buffed the crap out of it and it deff got smoother. not perfect like the rest of the board, but better

No I do both just depends on the way I feel for the day, if you think you have to much pressure on one side when you scrape use an edge to help.
okay cool, glad to know it doesnt really matter

#20 · (Edited)
a couple thousand feet of less than perfect snow will erase 98% of the things you do with wax and *insert wax tool here*. I'm not saying waxing is worthless I'm just saying that you can take 3 seconds to ride a thousand feet and that shit you worried about is now mythological history and hearsay.

This being said I do believe that in cold conditions with fresh snow (not just pow, but pretty much our CO conditions we have had all year, constantly refreshed, even if ridden, no warmups), a well scraped and kept fresh wax job is nice and lasts through a day or 5.

The shit that will strip wax is manmade, ice, shit that has gone through weird melt cycles (like what we had 2 years ago), preseason or even warm spring snow, the slushy stuff at the last few hundred feet by the bottom will do it even if most of the mountain is in prime condition, etc....

tldr: if the snow is crappy or warm, I wont even scrape.

more edit. the rails will be the most affected by all of these factors, they will wear wax out quicker, but also you want them that much better scraped and clean when the snow is cold/fresh, on the other hand they get dry fast in the early or late season...

#22 ·
Snowboarder with talent �� can ride any board.

All wax �� is not �� equal ⩶, So method and technician is 25% ✅ & WAX �� 75% ⩶ results.

Good snowboarders will recognize subtle differences with wax used. Ive conducted enough test to know method of application can give a wax an added injection, but will not make sh-it into molten gold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.