Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Glue Repairs?
Thread: Glue Repairs?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
chomps1211
Not quite reformed yet

Default Glue Repairs?

I had a question for all the DIY, handy guys & gals here. When doing a glue/epoxy repair on gear and equipment, is there any advantage/necessity to keep the item clamped throughout the entire 24-48 hour curing process?

What I mean is does it help the integrity of the repair any to keep it clamped beyond the 10-30-90 min. whatever initial hardening time for the epoxy/glue etc?

I've had to try and do a mickey mouse repair on my 32 boa's. The bottom plastic wire guide was pulling loose from the boot on one side, and since it looked as if it was sandwiched & glued between the layers of material to begin with. I thought I might be able to affect a reasonable repair by gluing and clamping it with some epoxy I have left over from a board top sheet repair. (I was very careful to keep any epoxy from getting into or around the slots/openings for the boa wires!)

I mean ultimately, it'll work or it won't. But I was a little curious to know if leaving it clamped for the full 24-48 hours as opposed to taking the clamps off after a few hours once it's hardened would give the repair any real additional advantage. Or if once it's hard, the clamps don't really do anything more for the repair? (...I was hoping to ride tomorrow at the local hill.)

This information would be helpful for the next time I need to do another top sheet / lamination repair as well. Thanks!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote