Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Picking out a board...

1K views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  st.stark 
G
#1 ·
Male, 6'4", 200lbs, size 12(wide) boot.

Been riding for five years on rentals in Ohio/Indiana hills (they call them mountains...); past two seasons, though, I only got out like four or five times total. Want a board that is good for this, but also comfy on real mountains - I like to travel when I can.

As to my style of riding, I like to be able to ride anything the mountain has to offer, mostly on piste, but if they have a pow'd trail, I'll still jump on it. I don't do real back country at all, though. Also, not interested in rails, but I do small jumps.

I'm not sure what my budget is, actually, now that I've thought about it. I know not to spare expense on boots and bindings, everyone tells me that much, at least!

Please recommend anything that comes to mind!

Questions:
What kind of construction should I look for?
Probably need wide, right?
What is the difference in all these companies?! I've found over 12 different board companies!
Is anyone doing anything that would benefit an intermediate rider or should I not worry about the various gimmicks that companies are toting right now?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
check out last years Rome Flag in 163... the flag is the wide version of the Anthem. I believe BuySnow.com still last years in a 163 on closeout for a great deal, they also have a NeverSummer Premier on closeout in 163 that would be a nice board for you too. Also I can recomend the Ride Decade wide as an excellent intermediate board which you can also get for a good price on closeout. I've ridden that board for the last 3yrs and it's treated me very well, a bit stiff for real park use, but in terms of just riding the mountain it's very stable and turns very well as long as it's not super icy

G
#3 ·
Rome Flag looks sweet, good price range at buysnow.

If I had the cash, I'd jump all over an Arbor - those look slick, but with all the options I've got, definitely going for a cheaper board.

Also digging most of the Atomic stuff.

Not too interested in the Head Concept or Never Summer boards... too dark! I like something a little louder.

I'm going to start looking around at board prices and stuff between all the recommended sticks. Gotta check out my local shop this weekend! Probably going to order a board online and do the boot/bindings in store after it shows up.

#4 ·
Well, I wouldn't wait too long if your interested in that Rome, it won't be on there that much longer, as nobody has them at all from last year... the Ride you can get at a few places for a good deal. I think Burton Snowboards and Skis, Burton Bindings, Burton Boots, and snowboard reviews had them on closeout... also the Atomic boards are very underrated and are probably the sleeper brand of the group. I haven't ridden one of the boards myself but everyone I know who has loves them

G
#5 ·
Yeah if you are order 06/07 stuff order soon! My friend was looking at some 07 Burton Rulers on sierrasnowboard one day and they had his size, then when he went to order the next day they were out! So hurry if you can! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.