Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Edge tuning woes
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Teslatic

Question Edge tuning woes

Hey guys,

Tuning newbie here. I have a pretty new Burton Custom Flying-V. I took it out once so far, but it was pretty rocky and my edge got a lot of burs. I picked up a Dakine side edge filer, since conditions are still pretty icy in Tahoe and I wanted to keep the edges nice and sharp.

Problem with this sport that I'm finding is that there is an unusual amount of conflicting information, whether it's on YouTube, forums, or even professional websites. For all mountain, some sites say keep the whole edge sharp, some say detune contact areas, other sites say only detune nose/tail PAST contact areas, etc. Which is it?

At one point I stupidly took a couple passes with the wet pocket stone (some site said to do it) and I believe that I detuned my whole heel edge... Or it was like that just from wear, but that was only a single day. Anyway, I took a LOT of passes with the 90 deg Dakine edge tool, and despite how much material I scraped off, I was never able to make it as sharp as toe-side (using the finger nail test). Is this normal? I've ordered a better edge tool with multiple diamond stones, as afterwards I read that this is what I really want if I'm aiming for sharpness (vs changing angles w/ the file).

The other concern that I have is that I think that I took A LOT of material off of that side edge. I was cleaning up the dust on my work table and had to brush off quite a bit. The edge itself looks fine, but it made me wonder: "how much filing can an edge take over the lifetime of the board?". Any insight would be appreciated.

Help this newbie out! Thanks in advance.
Teslatic is offline   Reply With Quote