Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Some board questions

3K views 40 replies 8 participants last post by  ksup3erb 
#1 ·
So after a few times renting out a board and some skis, I found out I prefer snowboarding.
This will be my first real board, and i think I will be using it on some jumps, groomers, and maybe a little powder. I'm 5'8" and weigh 140 as of now, and I'm trying to gain a bit more weight, and according to some charts the size should be 148-152. I am not aware of what the rental size was, so could someone help me out with the board size? I also have a size 10.5-11 shoe, and I've read that you don't want to have your heel or toes off the edge.
I have been looking at the burton ripcord, and could not really find any boards under $280. Is it possible to get the board, bindings, and boots under $300? $350?

#2 ·
Hey Cpapp, welcome to riding. Not sure if you've seen this calculator, but I found this Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator from a link on this forum.

I'm sure more experienced riders can chime in, but the calculator gives a decent size-estimate and takes things like ability, boot size, weight, and riding style into account.

Regarding the price I would think that (unless you went used) you would be hard pressed to find boots, bindings, and a board for under 350…. but I could be wrong.

#6 · (Edited)
I can't get any boots yet, not too many places sell a variety of them so I can't really try many on. I go to perfect north (only place around Indiana that is not flat) so next time I go I'll try some of theirs on. Will it matter if I get the board first, then the boots and bindings? I've read some reviews and the morrow seems to be the best bet. Also looking at these 2 boards, Camp Seven Valdez CRC 2014 Snowboard
http://www.the-house.com/9857rdmanw...filiates&utm_campaign=41227&netid=avant(would this be too difficult to turn and stuff for an beginner-intermediate rider?)

#7 ·
I totally agree with ksup3erb's comment. Your boots and the comfort of your feet come first.

You can buy the board first if you want, but make sure you buy your boots either before or at the same time as your bindings. You absolutely don't have to use the same brand for both, but it will make the boot and binding fit/compatibility a no-brainer in most cases.

#14 ·
Ok, I tried out some boots today. The burton invaders were pretty comfortable, and probably the most expensive I can afford. From what I could tell, the union dlx bindings seemed to be a decent fit. Are both of these accessories good?
I've read union is one of the best for bindings, and I just went off comfort for the boots.
Thanks!

#16 ·
Ok I was able to find some rome 390 boss's for $160 (2013 version) and I am planning on getting these. I really like the canting idea, and want to get a pair that has this feature. Does anyone know where I can get cheaper boss's? I don't mind buying used, but can't order off the forum but can off of eBay. It just dumped about a foot of snow outside so I would prefer to buy cheaper, used so I can get outside and on the slopes quicker.
Thanks!

#18 ·
Ok, I may be going out tomorrow, so I'll check if they have them. From what I've seen, rome is the only company with the adjustable cant, is that true? And if it is, I may be able to go without it if I were able to get the bindings for $100 or less.
Also, what boot did you have? For the most part I've read awesome reviews about the boss.

#19 ·
are you using it strictly in park and small hills Rome Mob Bosses might work too.

I didn't particularly like the 390 Boss but other people do. The 390s are stiffer for a park binding. Felt stiffer than Malavitas and K2 Uprises for sure.

If budget is a real issue you can always find last years K2 bindings for cheap around $120 or so.

For cheap but good boards look at Flow Era and Flow Verve (Softer) which you can find for a little more than $200.

Then find a boot that fits and sell your booty on the street to make it happen if you need to.

#20 · (Edited)
I plan on trying out som park a bit more and yes, smaller hills. I'm in Indiana so it's pretty flat but for spring break we go to Colorado. Do you know if these will be fine there?
I can get the formulas for $134
http://www.evo.com/outlet/snowboard-bindings/k2-formula-2013.aspx
The mob bosses for $124 (or $100 shipped new off eBay)
http://www.evo.com/outlet/snowboard-bindings/rome-mob-boss-2013.aspx
And the 390 boss's for $160
http://www.evo.com/outlet/snowboard-bindings/rome-390-boss-2013.aspx
Leaning toward the mob bosses because they're the cheapest and have the canting system. I also have to buy boots, and would prefer to keep the boots + bindings budget under $220 if possible.

#23 ·
Ok final question (I hope) my budget for the board itself may be able to go up to $300. Shipped. Any better boards I can get? I was looking at the 2013 ride machete. Thoughts?
I will also only be doing little park compared to just riding down some of the slopes.

#27 · (Edited)
Ok after going through a pretty large sum of boards, these are the ones that I'm looking into.
Salomon drift rocker
Salomon Drift Rocker Snowboard - Demo 2014 | evo
K2 raygun- I may be able to go for the 2014 edition; not really sure
http://www.evo.com/outlet/snowboards/k2-raygun-snowboard-2013.aspx
Arbor formula
Arbor Formula Snowboard 2014 | evo
And the ride machete. Is it ok to order from sports authority? It's much cheaper than other sites such as Evo and the house.
RIDE Men's Machete Snowboard - Wide - 2012 / 2013 - SportsAuthority.com
Also just got to the slopes. (Had another snow day even though the roads aren't that bad) Hopefully my last time on a rental!
And depending on which board I will get will now depend on which binding. The mob boss' are a gloss black with yellow, and I don't think that would look good with the machete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.