Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - East Vail Slide, 4 caught one killed
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

Got a little more from the TGR thread on this.

Quote:
That group was right behind mine on the way up. I'll tell my story of what I know.

We went up to the top of Benchmark to enjoy the views and to have a look at the bigger lines. We saw a number of small slides on Marvin's likely triggered as the sun warmed that face. This confirmed our worries about the rapid warm-up making things touchy. As we prepared to drop back to the pumptrack down the ridge, the girl in the group got to the top and said to her group, "I still want to check out NBA." I don't recall any other things said, that just stuck out. We proceeded to ski bighorn down to the bus stop.

This is what I heard after the fact.

We heard of the slide when we got on the bus and saw a guy in that group get on the bus. We asked him how his run was and he mentioned a big slide on CDC. I asked if everyone got out, and he said they pulled his buddy out with no pulse and are doing cpr. He said he had no pulse and was purple.

I told my boss about what happened, and he gave my partner and I's numbers to SAR. They called my partner about 15 minutes ago asking what we knew about how many people were in the group. He thinks it was 4 or 5 people. I remember the girl and 3 guys from the top, and there may have been another hiking up behind them that was with them. Word is, they don't know if they recovered all of the people caught.

Vibes to everyone involved and friends and family.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote