Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

East Vail Slide, 4 caught one killed

11K views 75 replies 25 participants last post by  killclimbz 
#1 ·
east Vail avalanche 2

I'm getting reports of a slide with a death And a few injuries in east Vail. Hope it's none of the people I knew of going out there. Unfortunately I'm sure I know them.

#6 · (Edited)
Sorry Argo. :(

Just posted this up in the backcountry forum. I am going to merge these threads there.

Having just lost a friend to an avalanche this year, this one is just a little too soon. For what ever reason people are pushing it this season. They were getting away with it in December. The dragon is now beginning to make it's presence known. With more snow on the horizon, it is only going to get more touchy. Respect it, please.

Vibes to the friends and family.

#8 ·
Got a little more from the TGR thread on this.

That group was right behind mine on the way up. I'll tell my story of what I know.

We went up to the top of Benchmark to enjoy the views and to have a look at the bigger lines. We saw a number of small slides on Marvin's likely triggered as the sun warmed that face. This confirmed our worries about the rapid warm-up making things touchy. As we prepared to drop back to the pumptrack down the ridge, the girl in the group got to the top and said to her group, "I still want to check out NBA." I don't recall any other things said, that just stuck out. We proceeded to ski bighorn down to the bus stop.

This is what I heard after the fact.

We heard of the slide when we got on the bus and saw a guy in that group get on the bus. We asked him how his run was and he mentioned a big slide on CDC. I asked if everyone got out, and he said they pulled his buddy out with no pulse and are doing cpr. He said he had no pulse and was purple.

I told my boss about what happened, and he gave my partner and I's numbers to SAR. They called my partner about 15 minutes ago asking what we knew about how many people were in the group. He thinks it was 4 or 5 people. I remember the girl and 3 guys from the top, and there may have been another hiking up behind them that was with them. Word is, they don't know if they recovered all of the people caught.

Vibes to everyone involved and friends and family.

#13 ·
We heard of the slide when we got on the bus and saw a guy in that group get on the bus. We asked him how his run was and he mentioned a big slide on CDC. I asked if everyone got out, and he said they pulled his buddy out with no pulse and are doing cpr. He said he had no pulse and was purple. [/IMG]
Does anyone else find that weird?
People do weird shit when they experience shocking, traumatic events. That's my only explanation.

#15 ·
Also a strong possibility. If their whole party was accounted for, no need for everyone to hang around. The initial report is that all three survivors were injured, but no report of the severity. The best call very well may have been to send the guy in the best shape out to get help.

#19 ·
Damn! So sorry for your loss guys! :(

All of you,.. Please be careful out there!

#20 ·
This is the most active time of year for avalanche deaths right now. :(

We are in the thick of it right now and we have an angry snow pack. This one hits several people I know. I did not know the victim, which not to sound callous but I am thankful for. I couldn't stand to deal with the loss of another friend this way. We haven't even put George to ground yet...

Again, sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

#29 ·
It accessed through BC gates. These guys were all expert skiers. Tony was on the Freeride world tour which my son is also on. We ride with the same group and together often. My son rode with them more often while in bounds.... Sad to see it and even more sad that it was in a closer circle than usual. The other 3 are really lucky and I am curious to find out how long of a ride they got. There is little survivability on a big slide out there as it filters through a large Forrest.....

RIP tony and condolences to his family, especially his twin sister who he was very close to..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.