Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - First board purchase, having second thoughts...
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 02:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
RickyRide

Default First board purchase, having second thoughts...

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, 33 y/o guy from Rotterdam, Netherlands. I'm a beginner 2 snowboarding weeks to AUstria and some indoor experience...so I just mastered the basics, meaning getting down the hill pretty OK but nothing else much.

As I really like snowboarding so far and want to go more often and don't really want to rent all my gear everytime I decided to buy a beginner board. after some research I decided to go for a simple all mountain board and go from there to see what I like. 95% of my time will be spent on the slopes but I do want to practice some jumps and simple tricks like ollies and 180's soon too.

I'm 6.3, 187 pounds and a size 12.

The guy at the local boardshop had a really nice deal on the Salomon Sight with bindings and this board seemed to fit my basic needs for the price.

SIGHT Board - Salomon Snowboards

I purchased the 166W size. Based on the weightrange chart salomon provides for the board this would be ideal for me. Also if I apply the old-school "stand next to your board rule" it comes just below the chin.

Now here's where the doubt comes as I am seeing 166 boards being recommended to much heavier guys or powder riding I am doubting if this will be a good allround length for me and I need to switch to the 162 instead?

On the other hand the manufacturer recommendations should be leading and every board is different, the board is also kind of flexy so I could probably get away with it easily.

Any recommendations or advice? Did I buy the right size?

Thanks all!
RickyRide is offline   Reply With Quote