Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Bob Costas = Gaper?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
andrewdod

Default Bob Costas = Gaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seant46 View Post
Yeah true, I also think some people into more of the mainstream sports have a bias towards snowboarding because of the culture aspect of it, and that there isnt a point system to determine who wins. Stereotypes y'know

Also very true. To the naked eye (which I'm sure bob costas eye is naked) a winning run could be a run that is very fundamentally unsound, but it could look cool to them. And then a guy like Mark McMorris goes and wins it and they can't understand why, because they don't know what the judges are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Yea maybe, but since he is so involved with the winter Olympics, you'd think he'd be a bit more professional about it even if he hasn't seen it or understood it. Yea, he was just kidding around but again I think he does a disservice to the sport because there are, unfortunately, a lot of people who don't understand it and like and follow what Costas has to say. Linking it to the already-despised-by-certain-demographics Jackass show just re-affirms any suspicion they had about the sport already.

Exactly, it may have been more affective for Costas to say I don't understand it and explain why rather than leading to a comparison. He definitely hurt the sport a little bit. Hopefully people watch and see how awesome it is.

Last edited by andrewdod; 01-09-2014 at 01:43 PM.
andrewdod is offline   Reply With Quote