Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Arthritis.......wait, what??
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #54 (permalink)
PalmerFreak
Senior Member
 
PalmerFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 310
Default

OK, so I go see the orthopedist yesterday and it's a bucket-handle tear of the medial meniscus in my right knee. Not surprisingly, the doc (he's a skier and specializes in sports medicine) wants to scope my knee. Here's an image from the MRI that shows the tear:



I spoke with him about non-surgical options and he said that we could try rehab but that it would take weeks to see if it would be sufficient to heal me up. If rehab doesn't work, I'd end up going under the knife anyway and the season would be wasted. If I go under the knife he says that he wouldn't recommend getting back on a board in two weeks (depending on what they find once they're inside my knee and the rehab) but he could see me back riding within a month - if all goes well. While getting back on my board this season is a factor the larger issue is my job. I'm a technical trainer for an optical machinery manufacturer and I'm on my feet a lot and travel a fair amount. While a non-surgical option would be preferable I don't think I can wait weeks and still do my job effectively.

So after taking some time to deliberate I'm going to have the surgery done this coming Thursday, 1/16. I'll use this thread to share my experiences as I go through this ordeal if anyone is interested.

Last edited by PalmerFreak; 01-18-2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Added MRI image
PalmerFreak is offline   Reply With Quote