Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

First time riding duck stance!

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Mel M 
#1 ·
Hi!

I'd like to give duck stance a chance this season since I want to get more into freestyle riding. In the past, I've ridden +18/+5 since I found it comfortable.

I've read some articles online and it seems most people recommend starting with +15/-15 or +15/-9.

Got any suggestions?

#3 ·
Yeah, keep the angle between your feet the same. If you ride at +18 +5 your current difference is 13 degrees. So try +6/-6 or +9/-6 to start. I find 15/15 to wide, my sweet spot it +12/-9 or so.
I've messed with my stance angles for a while and started at +12,-9 and actually found my sweet spot at +9/-6. Weird.

#4 ·
insert +/- for reg/goofy, assume duck

12/12 or 15/15 are very good starting points.

sometimes one notch further in the front foot is nice because it will force you into a better position for riding switch by rolling out that knee. I'm kinda torn between the 2, sometimes I like 18/12, lately 15/15.

For a directional board u never ride switch some offset is a good idea, 2 notches is nice.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I have a twin board (salomon villain). Thinking of going middle stance and 50 inches apart (I wear a size 44 suit). Maybe start at +12/-9?

Since this is the binding forum, I'll mention that I'm mounting a pair of salomon holograms on the board. It'll be my first time playing with adjustable high backs so I'm interested in seeing how they perform with the highback adjusted parallel to the board.

First time this season will be this friday! Even though we have pretty crappy snow out here in Tahoe, i'm stoked!

#7 ·
Thanks everyone. I have a twin board (salomon villain). Thinking of going middle stance and 50 inches apart (I wear a size 44 suit). Maybe start at +12/-9?
Where you measuring this 50"!?! I wear a 42 suit jacket (if that's what you're referring to) and use a 21.25" stance width. Always measure centre to centre for stance width. Maybe 50 cm is what you're looking at, that would be 20" which may be too narrow. I had to setup my powder board at 22.25" stance width as that is the most narrow set of inserts on the board (I think it's meant for a 250 lb guy! lol), and I don't mind it at all. I thought it would feel too wide but it's not bad, the board is very surfy but I have fun on it...

#11 ·
I ride +15 -12 I find its a good all round angle for riding regular then when I want going to switch and still being comfortable. I was thinking of switching it up to +15-15 just to see how it feels but I don't know if a 3 degree change will feel that much different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.