Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - East Coast Offseason snowboarding?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
gravityhomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecKiwi View Post
Unfortunately Canada is not the land of eternal snow, as many Americans think - at least not the Canada that's accessible within 10 hrs of Connecticut! For year-round snow in Eastern Canada, you have to go a long way north to mountains with no road access and no commercial ski operations. Montreal, which is surrounded by good skihills, has summers averaging only a couple of degrees cooler than Connecticut. It's warm/ hot and humid. The mountains in eastern Canada are not that high, so the temperature variable between the valleys and the peaks (Say between Montreal and the peak of Mt-Tremblant at only 900m) is nowhere near as great as in the west (Say, between Portland and the peak of Mt Hood at 3400m).
Yeah, I hadn't considered the lack of tall peaks. I am definitely guilty of thinking of Canada as the land of snow and cold. I'm just jealous that PNW and BC, Canada seem to have reasonable amounts of late season snow, And here on the east coast we have vermont. Maybe we'll have a mini ice age soon?

I'm not that experienced yet, so I will hold off on something like an open country ravine.
gravityhomer is offline   Reply With Quote