Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Skating,.. Finally, A breakthrough!
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
chomps1211
Not quite reformed yet

Default Skating,.. Finally, A breakthrough!

I have been struggling with this for three years and I think I've finally figured out what the trouble has been. I have been incapable of any semblance of control when trying to turn toe side while skating on my board. It would always end up spinning around on the nose of the board. Usually I wind up catching the heel edge after being spun, or I panic and set my free foot on the snow which usually gets me wishboned.

I could go heelside just fine, turn, stop, drag my free heel to brake a straight roll etc. But going toe often ended badly.

Everyone I asked gave different variations of the same advice, but they all included telling me to lean forward like when riding to engage the toe edge at the contact point and help turn.

Recently when dismounting the lifts, I started setting my free foot on the board with a fair amount of toe off that edge AND keeping a lot more weight on the rear foot! This works!!! (...for me anyway.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this works because on my cambered Arbor and my hybrid RCR Proto, this weighting the back foot puts the running edge in better contact with the snow. That and having more toe hanging out over that edge lets me pressure it better to help with stability and control.

This has helped me skate/ride unstrapped for longer distances, with some reasonable ability to steer and control the board without all that spinning.

Is my thinking sound on this? I mean it seems to work for me where nothing else has.

Not to mention, Heel side has always been my go to side, so I find that even in this toe heavy weighted free foot stance, if things get sketchy or I need to bail for some reason on going toe. Getting back on my heel is pretty easy and I can take evasive action that way without crashing.

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15

Last edited by chomps1211; 01-14-2014 at 07:21 PM.
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote