Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Malavita questions
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
NZRide

Default Malavita questions

Hey there,

Was planning to upgrade the Rome390s up to 390 Bosses (keen to get canting to help out the ol knees). But some recent posts have made me look at other options.
Burton Malavitas and of course Cartels get good write ups, and have canting (am I correct that Union still do not offer this?)
Firstly, Best to point out I would be looking at the Re:flex version as going on a non Burton 4 holer.

1.) So question is, I'm assuming the 4 holer plate comes with this version out of the box. Is it able to be used so you can use the holes in a heel to toe orientation, so that I can move the binding back or forward towards the heel or toe direction (as opposed to the stance width direction)?
Reason I ask is I have big feet and with my Romes maxed out in the heel cup, only way I can get boot centred on board is to have the holes oriented this way and not use the centre hole.
I guess it is possible, as it should just be a case of rotating the disc as per my current Rome disc, but being Burton and EST compatible, I just wanted to check, anyone tried them this way and works all good out of the box with the supplied discs?

2.) Reliability and robustness of the Malavitas? good? (Klinger mentioned about the heel hammock being a potential failure point in another post, anyone see any wear and tear on this part of the binding?)

3.) What's making this a tougher decision than it should be, is whats been mentioned in other posts about Cartels actually being softer than the Vita (some of these comments are over a year old), I do want a freestyle binding (like the 390), hate rigid freeride bindings, so do I trust what Burton says on their site?
Burton officially rating it a 6 in stiffness and stating it is softer than the Cartel (the Cartel being a 7). I would say the Vita should be the one for me. Anyone had experience on the actual 2014 models to verify is Burton correct or in reality is the Cartel a slightly softer binding? What matches up closest to the 390 in reality?
Looking for good response, but some room to move if you know what I mean.

thanks for any advise,
NZRide is offline   Reply With Quote