Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Trading in Lib Tech for Never Summer Proto?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  destroy 
#1 ·
I'm probably going to get crucified for starting this thread, but I wanted to find out if anyone here has owned or ridden several Lib boards and then changed to Never Summer. I've ridden Lib from day one, like the MTX in most of their boards, but want to try something different.

I've read great reviews on the Proto, but the only thing that concerns me is the vario grip. I've also read it isn't as catchy like some of the MTX in Lib boards like the Banana Magic. However, I don't don't want to be catching edges and eating shit all of the time. I'm so used to MTX, curious if I'll be happy with vario.

Own a couple of Skate Bananas, Trice HP, Banana Magic, and a buddy swears by his Gnu RC. I'll probably be getting rid of the Rice and Magic, if the Proto looks promising, as it does. Don't like the stiffness of the Rice.

Thanks for the input.

#2 ·
If you're worried about catching edges don't. No snowboarder should. Catching edges means you fucked up. Worry about less grip, perhaps. But not catching edges.

Haven't ridden those boards except a Trice that was oversized for me for the fuck of it, but rode the Proto (new) over 3 days this past weekend. Ollies were noticeably easier than other NS boards I rode, that flat area does help (or its just the Proto itself).

I will say the Proto was softer than I imagined. Some said it felt as stiff or stiffer than a Cobra but I felt it it was much softer. I was pushed around a little more on the Proto but that could be due to the snap in the board. I hear the board softens up quite a bit which concerns me since I just got a K2 WWW which leaves me with two softish twins. Not the boards' fault, but I got a screaming deal on the WWW from buysnow ($140) so I grabbed it.

Granted I could go pretty fast on the Proto. But I will have to agree with those who say it is a park board that can be used pretty well on the whole mountain. I've lusted for a Proto for 3 years now and got one. It's a good/great board. If it fits a slot in your quiver and your Trice is too stiff it might work.

#4 ·
I was debating a ns or lib this year. I had demo'd a cobra and raptor as well as a banana magic and a trice. I ended up buying the trice hp and I do love it. I don't know why but I cannot get stoked on a ns to save my life. I do get super stoked everytime I step on my trice though. I know this has no technical points what so ever but more my personal experience.

#5 ·
Interesting comment above.... Now that I think about it why the hell do people worry or talk so much here about "catching an edge" - other than beginners who really does? I've been riding regular camber for 15 years easy and I just never have that thought going through my mind. The bigger problems for me are casing a jump, hitting a tree, getting broken off in the pipe. I think there is way too much talk about catching edges when it comes to camber profiles. The only reason I own a board with rocker is for riding powder.

#7 ·
Oh I didn't mean it like that. I totally understand where you are coming from. It just occurred to me that a lot of us guys here talk about "catching edges" when it comes to the benefits of rocker profiles, but that's really not that big of a deal once you have been riding a few years. There are other benefits that are actually more useful in the long run. That said if you are just learning, camber isn't really any more difficult to master and it can really help you ingrain proper riding techniques. You will only worry about catching edges for a short time before it's not even on your mind, any more than falling off a bike. I think you should choose whatever makes you feel happy and stoked to be riding. And I think you can very easily switch to other camber profiles, it's the fun of progression.

#8 ·
I will admit don't think about catching your edge when buying a board. But don't forget about it while riding! Been riding for years, taught for another four, was simply bombing through a park run not hitting jumps but just riding through to check it out for the day last season, wasn't paying attention and caught my first edge in two years going about 40 mph (it was sunny and 45 degrees out so with good wax it was super fast and too easy to get overly comfortable). Fell hard knocked the wind out of me. It wasn't until about 5 hours later when I finally was doubled over in pain I checked in to the hospital and found out I lacerated my liver, ruptured my adrenal gland and separated all my ribs from the cartilage. Ended up being super lucky trying to tough it out didn't cost me more than a few days in ICU.

I still love camber boards but don't think catching an edge is below you because you're experienced. It will catch you, its happened in X-games, it happens on video clips, everybody does it. Camber is my favorite but dual camber is probably what I'll be riding from now on in hopes of keeping me a tad more safe from making stupid mistakes.

#9 ·
Hey man!!!' Are you trying to jinx us!!!! That sounds brutal. I never, never ride spring conditions like that. It's so tempting after a long season, but so dangerous. All of my worst injuries are from too warm, too soft conditions. I don't even go out if its going to be above 35. Boards just don't function as well in those conditions. Easy to come up short on jumps, the slush is heavy and grabs the board, super easy to get knee injuries. Super tempting with the sun out but consequences if you don't adjust your riding significantly.

#10 ·
Ha! It's so true! Not trying to jinx just warn. Riding on Hood you get conditions like that a lot and you just gotta ride em. It's deep heavy powder or sunny warm bluebird. It makes for some catchy terrain, sadly this was in early January when you shouldn't have to worry about it. Cost me my entire season :dunno: But that's what I get for not paying attention.

#11 ·
Thanks for the input, just trying to weigh options of leaving MTX boards to the Vario of NS.

Never had an issue with MTX, except I do notice it's much more grabby on the Banana Magic vs the other boards. Then again, it is more aggressive. I also notice the slow down of speeds through turns that people have commented on this board. Can almost relate it to hitting a patch of slush when it grabs.

#12 ·
Those are all sick boards that you have but I don't know why you want a Proto so much. Where do you ride and what kind of rider are you? If a T Rice is too stiff you must be noodling in some mellow terrain...

The Magic is a pretty remarkable all-around board, which is kinda what the Proto is. I'd like to try one in a bigger size personally, foolishly bought mine too small at reccomendations of folks on this forum. It's a unique board that's all its own though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.