Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

First time using a rocker board

8K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  Soul06 
#1 ·
So I purchased a Solomon 2013 Pulse 157 (Wide Board). Its a flat rocker board with a flex rating of about 3 out of 10 supposed to be beginner to intermediate all mountain board . Just to start out I come from a skateboarding background where I was sponsored for a little while. The first time I went up I had no problems getting up riding etc went about 10 times or so got better each time tried out a lot of different boards probably at the time traditional cambers. So after about 3 years of not going up I decide to get back into it, I buy all the gear and this board. Right off the bat I couldn't even stand up. I was really expecting just to get up and go like the other times I've went. It took me about 10 mins to figure out how to get up on this board. There is no edge to dig into! It's like you almost have to jump into it like a surf board. So I kind of figure that out get going down the hill and it feels like I'm on Ice Skates or something I could not control it at all. Embarrassing to say the least, coming from my background. During the last end of my run I go to slow down with my heal edge and the board just shoots from under me and I land on my tail bone. Not to mention pulling my rotator cuff from just trying to get up to get going down the hill! It felt very sketchy going on the groomers and at high speeds very squirrely. Am I just not getting these boards>:dizzy:

#2 ·
I had the same trouble a couple years ago when I purchased my Burton V-Rocker.. it was very sketchy at first. I did finally learn how to ride it pretty decently but never felt the control I wanted to feel. Now someone might scold me for saying this and I could be wrong. But for me the rocker was not the right board for high speed control and stability.. a rocker has less edge in the snow. Great for a forgiving ride and not catching edges but the less edge in the snow the less control you will have. If you do learn to ride it you will probably have a blast with it though.

#3 ·
Funny you mention that, I went up today with a new setup GNU Carbon Credit also a Rocker. It wasn't as extreme of an experience as you but I noticed some differences in handling the board as well. It's certainly more floaty and high speed does feel like a bit of a different animal.

I had to go back to the basics for the first half of the day. It was weird, I managed to get back to where I was with my goofy riding. I was hopeful of even figuring out how to do butters with how the morning went. But I could not get to the point of riding switch today like I did on my old board. I ended up just enjoying the rest of the afternoon taking the express to the top and riding normally only no switch.

I'm probably not good at describing this but it felt like there was less effort required to do the same turns compared to my old board. Starting out I'd find myself body surfing instead of pressing an edge into the ground. Later on I figured out I didn't have to lean so far into it to get the board to stop like I had to do on my other board.

#4 · (Edited)
It was definitely an experience. I did notice it's waay sensitive compared to the other boards I've ridden with normal camber. You kind have to baby it, the problem was I used to having to throw my body into it and it would spin around real fast. By the time I figured that out I was pretty much hurt. The other thing is I think my back foot was set to far apart making it harder to control. I am going to go back to a regular camber board like the Capital NAS, so I don't waste more time basically having to learn again. It's going to be a short season where I'm at. I'm might get a hybrid later on though. Did you have a problem just getting up? I couldn't believe it, I couldn't even get an edge in to get stable, in order to get up. It just kept sliding.

#5 ·
i think its just you, riding these new snowboards is really not THAT different from riding a camber board. You did spend three years not riding after only riding a little bit. suck up your pride and spend 60 bucks on a lesson before spending another 400 on a board.

#6 ·
Well, I've never had an issue with the other 4-5 boards I've used with no lessons. I just don't like the feel of it. I like a stiffer board ,and a board that if I move half an inch it doesn't get completely out of control. It's almost like walking on egg shells. That board will be a board towards the end of the season I will spend some time trying to learn that style of it. But in the mean time I want to ride with confidence, and enjoy the season that basically started for us here.

#7 ·
Everyone is different, and whatever you are experiencing is giving you that much problem you need to change boards or change technique is all I'm saying.

From my experience riding all rocker noodles to stiff as hell camber boards and never experiencing anything near what you are describing, leads me to believe that in 3 years you lost the muscle memory for snowboarding or had poor technique to begin with.

#8 ·
I've tried many shapes (pure rocker, CRC, V, RCR, RFR) and indeed didn't like some of them for being not gripping or stable enough (mostly rocker or small CRC) for carving or flatbasing. So the general answer to your question: yes, rocker suck for some, I don't like them and prefer trad. camber, RCR or RFR. BUT...

FWIW, Salomon rates the Pulse as super flat hybrid camber. Thus talking about it as "rocker" is somehow misleading. By saying "rocker", I assume a rocker or rocker hybrid (= CRC=rocker between feet), which should not be the case with your board. Would be interesting to see the profile of your board; if it has a detectable microcamber or if it's flat as flat can be. However, I'd assume, it doesn't have a rocker between the feet. This could help to get an overview: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/37496-rocker-camber-everything-between.html

I don't know how the Pulse rides, so can't say if the problem is the board or you. However, 10d experiece combined with 3y off equals to zero IMO. I had app 50d and app. 5y hiatus and the first days were like beginning from scratch. Being a scateboard pro doesn't make you a snowboard pro... same same but different. The difference from having had a better experience 3y ago could as well arise from different snow conditions (or false memory). I you absolutely want to blame the board, rent one with more camber and check, if it's better.

And a last point... I feel very uneasy reading about "high speed" and total lack of control in the same paragraph... take a lesson or at least take it easy and learn, where this specific board can be pushed and where not and ride accordingly.

#10 ·
DarkDrive: I did not have trouble getting up on the board, I was just fine getting on and off the lifts. My balance standing still on the edge was a little off but I blame my not boarding for 9 months. If I didn't ride for 3 years I'd feel like I do when I sit infront of the piano, fustrated as hell. I remember what I use to play but I can't do it anymore. That's not to say it doesn't come back faster then if I hadn't learned it before but it does take time. I've almost always had private piano lessons when I've been serious about returning.

Now if only I could find a good snowboarding instructor, for now I've been watching videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCToC_MN2Wc

Neni: Thanks for posting that link to the board profile post, some how totaly missed that sticky. Your point about false memory is interesting, I had an ah there it is moment once I succeeded on my toe edge again yesterday morning.

#13 ·
You missed the important point: you're NOT riding a "rocker". You've a hybrid flat, not a rocker. It's a flat board with rocker in tip/tail and no rocker between the feet thus it's not a rocker, which would have rocker between the feet. Read the link with the different profiles before playing miffed and interchanging well-intended advice with insult...

#12 · (Edited)
I went from a stiff camber to rockered board and while the feel was different, it wasn't even close to what you describe. Once you stand up, all boards flatten out and the effective edge is in contact with the snow. It's what they do when you unweight or "overweight" them that makes them different.

But not being able to stand up because you couldn't get on edge? Ummm...that's not the board

Sounds like your weight isn't close to the center.

#21 ·
So last night I went to Cataloochee in NC to board some.. And I had 2 surprises.. 1- MLK weekend is their most popular weekend (who knew) and 2- I'll be damed if they didn't have a rep from Burton there, a concert, and all kind of stuff.. So I was actually able to get about 5min talk time with the rep regarding my Burton Blunt V-Rocker. So right or wrond I'm gonna share what he told me. Most of you guys probably already know this and when you think about it is common sense(ish). Obviously I can't remeber what he said word for word, but I told him some of my issues and his response is..

" When you buy a Rocker throw out the old mentality of my weight=? and my height=? so my board must=?. You weigh 240 , are 5'10" tall, and have a narrow stance riding groomers 90% of the time. For a camber board I would recommend a 158-160. For a Rocker I would recommend a 153-155. The reson being is the effective angle of the Rocker is design to have "X" amount of contact with the snow when on the board. This X value is a result of where a certain weight is applied to the board. Me being on a 160, but with a narrow stance, I'm not applying nearly enough pressure to the tip and tail of the board to get effective edge contact. Which is why I am getting major "drift" when riding and needing to lean excessivley when carving. Obviously the effects are not as drastic when riding pow, but the concept still apllies. If I want to stay with a Rocker I need to either widen my stance and keep my board, or get a shorter one to give more equal weight distribution. But enless I ride much park, for east cost groomers, he would never recommend a rocker. I should be on a camber or RCR or CRC. And also to let you know all rockers are not created equal. Some rockers are more "rockered" than others. For example. Sitting on a flat table.. and all mountain rocker will have less distance between the tips and the table than a freestyle rocker(which is more "Rockered")."

Ok.. Again just what he said regarding my situation. I thought was good info.. some stuff I never really thought about. If you guys disagree don't shoot the messenger, email Burton..lol.. Just thought I would share. I widened my stance after that and wow did my board perform better, but it killed my legs....

#24 ·
When you know how to ride, you can adjust to any board fairly easily. You're blaming equipment for your own shortcomings and taking offense when others try to point it out. You will do what you want, of course, but being defensive is not going to help you handle your board better. You've been given a good advice: learn to ride, take lessons.

#25 · (Edited)
DIRECTLY FROM EVO's SITE;

Salomon Pulse Wide Snowboard 2013
Salomon Pulse Wide Snowboard redefines value and performance with features like a mellow flex and Directional Twin shape that will make riding more fun everyday day....
Rocker Type
Super Flat - All terrain versatility comes in this flat profile for catch free spins, honest presses and stability.

Anything NOT Camber seems to get referred to as "Rocker!" But neni & others are right,... It is a flat profile board! It might be raised some at the tips for float etc, but that is still technically NOT a rocker board! Not according to those specs!

I have a Rome Garage "Rocker!" It is a flat profile board, having the entire edge's running length in the snow at all times, except right at the contact points where it raises up slightly. I find it to be reasonably stable and turns just fine. In the right conditions!! It's not an ice rider, or super hard charging board. In soft snow, fresh & nice soft groomers! It Flies!! It will wash out on really hard carves and it's nowhere near as soft/flexible as yours BUT,.. as soft as your board is? I wouldn't expect it to carve all that well except maybe for the most experienced of riders!! :dunno:

-edit-
Oh,.. and for the sake of clarity. I learned to ride on an 2010/11 Arbor Roundhouse 163W. Full Camber, directional twin, with a 2" setback stance! My other two boards are a Rome GR 159 and 2012/13 Never Summer Proto CT. Hybrid CRC 157, :dunno:

#38 · (Edited)
DIRECTLY FROM EVO's SITE
As for consulting evo or other online shops fore information on gear... take their information with a pinch of salt. Just as an example: the Flagship was rated as intermediate board some weeks ago (they corrected this by now), blue-tomato shows a profile of a hybrid rocker for it (instead of a hybrid camber which would be correct), and the size charts on blue-tomato gives EUR sizes of US men's sizes for women's boots. It's always best to check on the manufacterers sites, them shops are full of mistakes.

OP, it can well be that having the wrong stance set up affects your balance, especially in the beginning. I need some runs on a new board till I find the right position and have a screwdriver in my pocket the first day. I always begin to set up centered stances i.e. symmetrical from the middle inserts. If the baseplate don't allow to take the middle ones or the stance is too narrow/wide, go one further outwards or inwards mirrored with both bindings, depending on your stance width. My stance width usually doesn't fit the inserts symmetrically thus I have the hind one one insert further back.

Considering the lessons... I never had one which I sometimes regret. Decided to learn to ride switch recently and made a complete idiot of myself, not being able to link two turns (which was a bit embarrassing; I'm riding many moons and expected it to be easier). It took a friend - who was an instructor - only some minutes to point out the major faults and give me some hints how to work on them, and see, I was mastering the hill backwards (still very clumsy but no longer on my butt :)) Point is: I would have figured it out somehow somewhen as well, but progress is so much easier if someone who has learned to teach (learned to use the right words and to analyze movements) can give hints.

Damn.. I really need to learn how to post a comment without writing a freaking book!
I'm so guilty of that as well :)

#29 ·
...I will say this. After re-reading some of your earlier posts and the stuff you said about your rear foot being "too far back? Too much weight on the rear, Move the rear an inch?" If your stance & bindings are not centered tip to tail on the board, or for that matter, across the width of the board for your boots. Doesn't matter what the profile of the board is. It'll ride like shit if it rides at all!!!!

Have you checked and double checked all those things?

#30 · (Edited)
Just like that Burton guy told me. It's not that I have a bad board or I don't know what I'm doing. It's just for me and the kind of riding I like I needed to adjust my setup or get a different board or just keep riding until I adjust my skill-set to my setup. However, like has been said, if one knows how to ride, it may not be pretty, but you should be able to get on ANY board and make it down the mountain. You may be miserable by the time you get there, but you should get there. But it is easy to get a board that just doesn't suite you or feel awkward to you. If you cannot overcome that then it is just going to magnify your bad habits or lack of skill (if any). Like with my board that really is a rocker.. Adjusting my bindings helped, but I've determined it's just not for me, my local slope conditions, and riding style.

It seems a lot of times when people have trouble they blame the board and when they ask others(don't necessarily mean people on here) opinons they say it's a lack of skill.. IMO more times than not it falls somewhere in the middle. Wrong board for your conditions/skill level..

DarkDrive.. try not to get to defensive.. Neni, chomps, and others have given me and other people some damn good advise on here (they may not know it cause of me just reading other postings they've done). You could have the BEST board for your conditions, and best bindings in the world, and 50hrs straight of practice with it. But if your bindings/setup are wrong you will still be struggling. And that's on ANY board... I did the same thing.. Until I swallowed my pride and took a lesson (per the recommendations of others on here) best decision I ever made. He was able to point out things wrong with my technique and setup...

#41 · (Edited)
if you are constantly spinning out and you say you put too much weight on your back foot that's the problem. you should not put more weight on your back foot. you are doing what people call noob error sitting in the back seat and when you try to turn, what happens is you kick the back of your board out and you start spinning. always initiate turn with your front foot not back. weight more on your front foot.
rent a camber if you think its your board but mostly not.

#47 ·
Just read through this whole thread. Its a bit sad. From what I see this is what I think is really happening...
The OP, coming from a skateboard background where he was sponsored and better than the average rider, really feels some type of way about not being able to take to snowboarding as easily as he did skateboarding. Hence his opposition to the suggestions of taking lessons. People have given some really great advice about centering yourself (body weight) but it appears to have fallen on deaf ears. He doesn't want to accept that his skills are possibly the issue and would instead choose to place blame on the board.

I have sort of been in the same boat. First time I went riding I only watch a couple of youtube videos and used a rental (its was like a 149 they gave me). I road fine all day. No problem turning, stopping, getting up, etc etc. Next year bought my own board; Burton Flying V 157. Fell A LOT. Had a hard time controling my turns. Couldn't get up to any speed without getting squirrely. Started thinking it was the boards fault for being a hybrid. But I humbled myself. Thought to myself, "This board was made this way intentionally. I'm not the only one out here with hybrid. So clearly it CAN be ridden....just not by me right now." So I needed to find out what I was doing wrong. Luckily I found this forum. Read lots of threads and comments from people who could ride a lot better, harder, faster and steeper than me. Help me TREMENDOUSLY. Perhaps thats what the OP needs to do. Humble himself, let go of the defensiveness and heed the advice of those who CAN ride the same type of board that he is having trouble with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.