Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Snowboarding vs skiing - do you go back?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
firstx1017

Question Snowboarding vs skiing - do you go back?

I just wanted to see what others' background have been on this subject.

I started out learning to ski 6 years ago. Skied for 2 seasons and never could get past a blue hill and it was really difficult on my knees, calves and ankles and just feared going down the blue runs let alone progressing to the diamond runs. And I was NOT having much fun - the blue hills just stressed me out to no end!

After the first year we were skiing my husband wanted to try snowboarding. He tried and tried without any lessons, etc. but he still liked it. I videotaped all his learning process. After his first year he said you know, you can go down ANY hill on a snowboard, even if you just heelside, you CAN get down a run. Well, that did it for me, I was willing to try anything to get down a blue run which just stressed me out on skis. I also had READ online that a lot of skiers switched to snowboarding when they got older as it was easier on their bodies. Well, that did it for me - hoping my thighs and knee pain would not be as brutal on a snowboard. Not to mention getting out of those fricking ski boots!

I watched several videos online and then went and learned on my own as being older I didn't want to hold up any class, etc. So, I started heelside, falling leaf heelside, toeside, garlands, j-turns, c-turns and linking turns. I had my falls but after going down my first blue run linking my turns in control, I really loved it!

Fast forward this is the start of my fourth season (on the snowboard - not having skied since I started to learn to snowboard). This past weekend I had a wild hair and wanted to bring the skis back up and try them. For some reason, I thought that after learning to snowboard that I had somehow turned into Lindsey Vonn on skis! Well, unfortunately I'm not Lindsey! lol As soon as we started down the run I was laughing to my husband saying OMG I HATE THIS!!! What was I thinking???? Neither of us were having fun. After one run, we went back and got the snowboards and decided NEVER AGAIN ON SKIS! What's funny is I missed the poles when I started snowboarding - this past weekend I could wait to get those poles off my wrists! lol

My right (back) knee (ride regular) does swell up after snowboarding for 2-3 days each weekend, but I stretch it out and it is not near as painful as skiing. It does not hinder my riding at all - just the swelling when we get home.

While talking to several people on the chair lifts and the benches one guy said he used to ski and only snowboards now, but that his wife skied, tried snowboarding for a few years but went back to skiing.

I'm wondering why anyone who knew how to snowboard would WANT to go back to skiing. I'm thinking that maybe she just never progressed on the snowboard and then gave it up.

Does anyone on the board have friends or relatives who can relate and I just wondered why anyone would go back to skiing after learning to snowboard.

Thanks,

Vicki

Last edited by firstx1017; 01-20-2014 at 01:50 PM.
firstx1017 is offline   Reply With Quote