Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - new board advice
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
pojama_people

Default new board advice

alright so i realize there's tons of info out there already but i'm looking at purchasing some new gear and i'm torn so...figured it couldn't hurt to hear from the people

anyway, about 3 years back i was riding an 08 custom and even though i was probably only average skill level, i do remember feeling like i could really rip on it. like i could go pretty fast and it felt stable. but it also felt kind of stiff to me so i bought a skate banana with the intention of trying to learn to spin and get better at park. but that never really happened since i mostly stuck with my friends and they weren't doing park. i felt really uncomfortable at higher speeds on the banana so i got rid of it and got the board i am currently riding, a 2012 lib tech TRS

overall i like the trs but i will admit i still don't feel super comfortable at higher speeds, maybe because its softer or maybe because of the rocker or a combination of the two? or maybe just because i suck? ha i don't know

so part of me is thinking maybe i want to go back to something more camber dominant (maybe not 100% camber but more camber than what i have now)...on the other hand, i am starting to actually spend some significant time in the park now. i avoid rails and don't know that i'll ever want to do them but i will hit 20-30 foot kickers and the next thing on my list is to learn to ride switch (well) and spin (for real this time). so i'm kind of worried that going back to regular camber is going to be hard now that i've ridden 2 rocker boards for the past 3 years or so...

my favorite thing to ride will always be powder runs in the trees, that is where i have the most fun so i definitely want a board that can do that. but when there's no powder and i'm riding groomers or doing a park day, it'd be nice to have something that can do that well. at this point i guess i'm looking for the same thing everyone is looking for, a board that is good everywhere (duh) and from the reviews i've read, i think i've sort of narrowed it down to these but i'm open to suggestions (hence this post)

burton flying v custom
never summer proto hd
capita defenders of awesome
k2 turbodream

from what i've read, all of these are pretty good but if any of you have ridden these boards specifically and have some suggestions based on what i like to ride, it would be much appreciated!

also i'm 6'0" and 175 so size recommendations would be awesome too. thanks!
pojama_people is offline   Reply With Quote