Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Looking for an All Mountain, Smash Everything board? Look here!
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 05:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
tlatmdeh

Smile Looking for an All Mountain, Smash Everything board? Look here!

Hey guys,

So after spending my weekend going to places and searching up online to get a new setup for 2014-2015 season(waiting for discounts to come by Feb/March), I decided to post my research results. Although I may be a bit biased towards some brands, I did include most popular brands as much as possible.

So here it goes.

All Mountain-On the softer side(typically a little bit more unstable, better at jib and butter)
-Bataleon Whatever/Evil Twin
-Capita Ultrafear
-Salomon Villain
-K2 Happy Hour
-Arbor Westmark/Blacklist
-NS evo
-Signal Freedom Machine
-Yes The Greats

All Mountain-On the harder side(typically a little bit more stable, better at bigger jumps and carving)
-Capita Indoor Survival FK/Defenders of Awesome/Outsiders
-K2 Raygun
-Salomon Time Machine
-Rome Mod Rocker
-Yes the Basics
-Salomon Assasins
-NS Proto
-Arbor Coda
-Signal OG
-Bataleon Goliath

I do have a list of park-oridneted boards and more free-ride oriented boards in separate categories(such as Yes Jackpot for park or Capita Totally Fk'n Awesome for freeride), but did not list them as this is for all-mountain.

These are basically best of class, recognized, acknowledged and well reviewed boards. A lot of them are award winners and they will do EVERYTHING, but every board is better than others at something. Some might be better at being stable, but lack pop or softness to jib.

To use this table.
1.Find where you go most in the mountain. Groomers or Park? In the park, rails/boxes/butter or jumps? Why are you changing your board? Do you need more stability and speed? Or do you need a softer board to jib around more?
2.Groomers(cruising)+Jumps=stiffer, other park+butter=softer.
3.Research each board of their camber/rocker profiles. What technology? For what reason? Which one fits you? Each technology has its strengths(more pop, less edge, less pop, more edge, etc. etc.). Even though tech has evolved so much that every board is fairly good at maintaining advantages of camber or rocker, each board inevitably sucks at one than the other depending on technology.
4.Design? Size? Price? Availability? Check and check.
5.Buy.

I tried to help you by categorizing VERY similarly-flexed boards into two categories.

I bet you, even though I haven't owned every one of them, that you will be satisfied with any one of these if you've chosen them carefully for your purpose. I've spent more than 35 hours(ofc, I wasn't spending time 100% on researching..reseraching within a 35-hour period very frequently when possible) just researching every board online for any complaints or defects. I've been to multiple shops in Vancouver to try flexing them, looking at technology and hearing from my buddies. Every board is what every company has best to offer, and has the latest yet approved technology incorporated into it. They're all very reasonably priced.

*I have not included Mervin snowboards or Burton ones. I don't like them and I'm not spending time on stuff that I do not like. Feel free to do your own research.

*Forum/Ride/Lobster/Rome/Flow/Endeavor etc.-I did not look in to these brands at all, or only at top models. Other brands were plentiful for me to research and my head is about to get cracked from knowledge, and I gave up and I don't like these brand names anyways(no offense).

If this helped you, bump it!

Last edited by tlatmdeh; 01-27-2014 at 05:07 AM.
tlatmdeh is offline   Reply With Quote