Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Warning: MeltDown Shop in Kitchener
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
linvillegorge
Veteran Member

A lot of local shops carry gear at over MSRP. Haven't really seen it much in this particular industry, but definitely in others. That way they have some margin to work with when they put items "on sale". It's up to the customer to educate themselves.

Not defending the practice as I think in this day and age of the internet it's not a wise practice. Once word gets out about it, you're pretty much dooming yourself.

MSRP = Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price. It's not set in stone. If a shop wants to try to sell it for more than that, it's well within their rights to do so. The other term to know in pricing is MAP. MAP = Minimum Advertised Price. Lots of companies institute MAP to protect their retailers from getting undercut by larger dealers that can make up for less margin with quantity.