Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Trying to get past my mental block
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
jbirdbear

Default Trying to get past my mental block

I have been snowboarding for 4 years now, for about 2 1/2 of those years I have been able to connect pretty much no more than 2 turns at a time before getting too wary of my speed and slowing down. I know speed is my friend, I know the concept of how to do it, I know pretty much everything I should at this stage, but I seem to have a serious issue getting my turns to become fluid and allowing myself to gather any speed. I learned on my heels and that is still my comfort zone, but it's boring and slow. When I do make a toe-side turn, I usually get so freaked out about dropping my edge that I over-commit and end up riding back up the mountain. Any tips on how to be less of a basket-case or a technique that may allow me to turn easier or relax while doing it would be greatly appreciated. I love snowboarding so much, I just wish I had the carefree attitude I did when I was an invinceable kid.

I am going to Vermont in a month and am hoping that being on a large mountain with a longer ride down will help give me the time I need to get over myself.
jbirdbear is offline   Reply With Quote