Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

treewell death on Big Mtn

7K views 68 replies 29 participants last post by  codzilla 
#1 · (Edited)
tree well death on Big Mtn + tree well safety

this happened last week but i did not hear about it til today...

http://www.flatheadbeacon.com/artic...tree_well_at_whitefish_mountain_resort/37359/

The son arrived at the bottom of the ski run and returned to the top of the run and retraced their route after his father did not show up. The man's son discovered his father’s skis protruding from the tree well, according to the sheriff’s office.
kid was 14 and finds his dad like that, damn this kinda freaked me out today

this was right in a small area of tight trees and all these rocks and mini chutes, it's my go to spot that i hit pretty much everytime i go up, fuck

#4 · (Edited)
earlier in the season when it was deep i would go though that area 3-4 runs a day. my kid (also 14) did get into a well back there, but he was rightside up (chest deep though) and i was only 15ft away. he had to dig down to his bindings and unclip both feet, took him 15 mins to get out...now we both have whistles and stay is sight of eachother, but still, anything could happen. i heard this story in the liftline today and just felt so damn bad about it i did one more run and just left

#7 · (Edited)
The black wire is for the split board Spark touring pins...though this year changed over to the Afterburner tesla/pinless bindings.

Its just the red cord...I use a 3/8" stiffer cord so that the cord stands up...iirc 8-9" total lengh...but its easy and you just need enough slack to be able to put the ratchets on the ladders. I've had no problem with the loop catching an anything. One pair I drilled a small hole, the others I just looped and wired (copper) wrapped the loop (no drilling the ratchet tabs). When doing laps its super easy to release and its a bit easier at the top of the chair. I've read that a few folks will even run another length of cord up their pants leg...so they can release their board if caught in an avy.

#8 ·
Wrath, that's a really interesting mod. Have you given a little thought to doing a more in depth DIY post for that one? :thumbsup:

#19 ·
Voile has been putting the qyick release cord on their Lightrail Bindings since they started making them. Meant for boarders to get out of their bindings in an avalanche.

Definitely doesn't hurt.

There have been multiple studies done on tree wells. The most notable was on the head first immersion. Twelve skiers and twelve snowboarders were put in that situation and told to try to get out. No one could. Even those who got their skis or boards off. The conclusion was that they would have died without help.

So if you go head first you are probably fucked. The quick release does make it easier for your rescuers as removing your board is going to be one of the first things to do.

One of the best things you could have is an Avalung. That could allow you to breathe while waiting for rescue. A whistle on your coat wouldn't hurt either. That could allow you to alert people of your location.

Good discussion. Tree wells are fucking scary.

#28 ·
suffocate or freeze to death if no one finds you

couple years ago a young guy, snowboarder, died in the sidecountry here. local kid that everyone on the mtn knew. not suffocated he was just stuck and couldn't get out. died of hypothermia out there overnight

#32 ·
Having had a close call, drowning scare once in some big SoCal surf, the prospect of suffocation is what scares me most about the tree well scenario. I am NOT making light of the kids death in any way, but of the two possibilities. I think I would prefer death by hypothermia than suffocation.

Mostly because I think that if I was suffocating, my last minutes alive would be spent in absolute panic and terror. Supposedly with hypothermia, near the end the mind and body becomes calm. Almost peaceful. If that's true, that would be preferable to me! :dunno:

But honestly, the whole idea of tree well traps just freaks me out. Not something I really want to think about.

#35 ·
This is one of my biggest fears. Having never been riding out west, and nowhere near deep enough in the east's backcountry (i typically stick to sidecountry and short hikes), I'm a bit ignorant on the whole topic so forgive this (probably) stupid question.

While riding, can you tell what's a possible tree well and what's just a typical area of super-snowy trees? Everything kind of blends together when you're out there and moving at a steady clip, so what can help distinguish an area that might house a tree well from an area that's pretty safe to ride? If it's even possible to pick them out.

I'm trying to get out to Colorado some time soon so I'd like to learn more about the hazards I might run into there.

#36 ·
that's just it, you can't tell. some just happen to get the condition right where you get a big air pocket there, some don't...certainly no way to tell when you are cruising thru at speed. so like the signs say, "steer clear", don't ride alone, try to stay close together too cuz that 5-10 mins spent when your buddy is trying to climb back up the hill, or come around again (like what happened to this kid here) could be the 5-10 critical mins.

that being said, it's a rare occurrence, one is probably in more danger driving to and from the mountain (not to make light of it at all)

#37 ·
Isn't this more common in the coniferous forests of the PNW as well? I thought I read somewhere that it is not as common in mixed forests of the Rockies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.