Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Strengthening and Conditioning

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Willy36 
#1 ·
well now that's the seasons over in az I'm looking at getting back into shape. This was my first year boarding and even though I enjoyed the exprience. I ended the season feeling I could have been a lot better had I been in better shape. Well I got the snowboarding bug and even though I'm boarding in AZ I'm hooked! I wanna be prepared for next season so I can be completely prepared. My goal for next season is to ride anywhere from 20-25 days next season. So I got the gym membership all I need now is the knowledge on what muscles to excersize and what type of conditioning is best to gain stamina. I'm literally hooked on snowboarding... sucks though that the best mountain to ride on is nearly 4 hours away I only went 5 times this year but it was enough ot get me hooked

#2 ·
This early on the conditioning phase, nothing specific will be that helpful. Work on overall fitness by doing cardio and working on decreasing your body fat percentage. Carrying excess baggage will always be unproductive. Work on core strength a lot as well since that is an important component of snowboarding. As the season approaches, then begin to focus more on leg strength and lactic acid threshold levels by doing squats and other leg workouts and running sprints and stairs

#11 ·
Like was said before, Squats & dead lifts...PLUS Calf exercises! Also throw in a lot of core work (abs/low back etc).

Also, if you have the $$, buy a balance board (Or you can use a skateboard deck and a 2L soda bottle filled with water if you are ghetto).

If you have even more $$, check out mountain boarding/long boarding or freeboarding. All are somewhat like snowboarding.

If you are mechanically inclined, build a box in your back yard and some sort of ramp to ride down to hit the box. You can use an old tarp and a lot of soap to make the tarp slippery. Once it's slippery and you have a ramp to ride down to get some speed, just practice hitting your home-made box all spring/summer long.

#14 ·
Like was said before, Squats & dead lifts...PLUS Calf exercises! Also throw in a lot of core work (abs/low back etc).

If you are mechanically inclined, build a box in your back yard and some sort of ramp to ride down to hit the box. You can use an old tarp and a lot of soap to make the tarp slippery. Once it's slippery and you have a ramp to ride down to get some speed, just practice hitting your home-made box all spring/summer long.
What am i supposed to ride to his the box?

Thanks alot for all your help guys! im really taking all this information in... Explosiveness makes sense now.. from what im understanding its haveing the endurance to be able to ride from the top of the mountain down to the terrain park and still being able to hit those big jumps... I was planning on doing alot of lower abdominal dead lifts and lower back lifts.... I was also thinking for calves to run on a incline? I wanna build endurance in my legs so i thought maybe that might help with swimming to complement it

G
#12 · (Edited)
Specifically:

For explosiveness - Jumping squats
For endurance - Lunges with back foot on balance board

Generally, take any leg excercise you normally do and add an unstable surface and you will hit a much wider range of leg muscles.

When exercising your calves, you really have to thrash them because they are such a dense,strong muscle.

#20 · (Edited)
Soo I just tryed out the balance board method and wow! my legs are worked! Its alot more fun then i originally thought... I was doing some pop shove its for a lil then i tryed putting the board on top of the PVC pipe paralel to eachother and It felt alot like a snowboard... I got a used deck from a local skate board shop attached 2 pieces of wood as stopers on the bottom of both sides. Then I got a 8 inch PVC pipe attached grip tape around it and WALLAH!!! pretty cool i gotta admit I was on it for aboout 3 hours because of how much fun it is

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.