Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Help to get the perfect board
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
rawlpluks

Default Help to get the perfect board

Hello all

After lurking for a time it is time for me to ask the question that lead me to this great site.

I am having a hard time deciding on what snowboard to buy.

A little background:
I am 42 years old and have been snowboarding for about 15 years.
I am 191 cm tall and about 90 kg, pretty fit, size 12 snowboard boots.
I have always been riding alone or with my wife and kids (all skiing) so I have very little understanding of snowboard lingo....so pop, pow, groomer etc is not all clear to me. Also, not a native english speaker.
I will spend 70 % of my time on prepared slopes, 25% off piste (wish it was reversed) and 5% doing fun stuff like small jumps. I will not ever do half pipes or the like as i work as a surgeon so I value my hands. I like going fast-ish but I really just like to feel the flow, I love doing powder snow. The main reason i changed from skiing. But, as I go with my family most of the time, the time spend off piste is not as much as I would like.

After so many years as a rental slave I think the time has come to get my own board. I simply want a board i can rely on, that I know how will behave.

After looking at a load of webpages i hope to have narrowed it down to a few boards but i need a little help with the final decision.

Due to the vast amount of companies I have focused on Burton boards.
Well, I know it is mainstream and all but feel free to suggest if there is an amazing board I need to take into consideration .
Prize is not an issue!
I am unsure if I will to be looking at a "Wide" board. Likely I will?

The nominees are (all Burton):

Custom X:
as I understand, a "pro" board, unforgiving and difficult to ride. I have the impresion that a lot of focus and perhaps less fun. However i like the technical aspect but I am afraid I might be too old/unskilled/hardcore to really benefit.
Camber, directional.

Custom:
The mainstream one, the solid choice?
Camber, directional.

Sherlock:
Twin board, the least expensive.
Camber/rocker/camber.
My first choice before I started reading about the others.

Custom flying V
Main difference, as I see it, from the Custom is the Camber/rocker/camber type but I fail to really see the difference between the two.....Well, this likely sounds dumb, but thats why i am asking here and it is Twin directions.

Any help would much appreciated, I need my own board now!
Thanks for reading
rawlpluks is offline   Reply With Quote